What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

long fiber sphagnum growing in my yard!!!

I dump my runoff from watering of my neps off my porch.
I noticed today sphagnum growing on my lawn:)
It's the lime green in the pics.
Is this normal???
It's pouring rain out right now so the pics arn't great.

sphag1.jpg

sphag2.jpg

I have to say, What?

Congrats!!! :clap: You now can havest your own Long Fibered Spaghum Moss!!! Just be sure not to fertilize your lawn!

So you think it got there from your runoff water? In any case - very cool. I have such a hard time growing this stuff for some reason. And for you it's a weed!

nightsky, It wasn't there before and it's growing right where I dump the water.
I am one of those geeks that looks everywhere around them for plant life. I know what is around me and what changes:)
If you can get some live LFS and plant it so the long fibers are going deep into the pot and keep the water level up near the top of the pot it should take hold. After it takes hold it should grow almost on it's own.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was doubting you. Very cool. Lotsa spores in your runoff water.

It might have been there but not been abundant till now. I would assume your mowing and watering maintains the patch.

Back