What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freeze Dried Bloodworms

Now tropical fish (saltwater) and invertebrates is something I can get into... if I had the money. I used to work for a tropical fish wholesaler and took care of the saltwater section.

^ unfortunately i'm more of a Freshwater guy myself... since running a 200G S/W tank would cost just way too much in HK, since i'd have to run a chiller on there 24/7 plus everything else... although maybe in the future i'll convert my 55G to a S/W tank...

Quick question about freeze-dried bloodworms as drosera food...

The only bottle I was able to find at my local pet store was this Hikari brand "Blood Worms... with Bio-Encapsulated Multi-Vitamins"...

It sounds as if the worms with fortified with vitamins during the freeze-dry process... Does anybody have any experience with this brand? I'm a bit worried about using them on my D. capensis for fear of inadvertantly "over"-feeding them (due to the extra "vitamins")...

Hey Ghost Writer,

All I can say is, don't give up! VFT can be challenging, but there is a whole world of CPs out there that you can grow in Hong Kong. Try some Drosera capensis or other tolerant species, you might be surprised!

Cole

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question about freeze-dried bloodworms as drosera food...

The only bottle I was able to find at my local pet store was this Hikari brand "Blood Worms... with Bio-Encapsulated Multi-Vitamins"...

It sounds as if the worms with fortified with vitamins during the freeze-dry process... Does anybody have any experience with this brand? I'm a bit worried about using them on my D. capensis for fear of inadvertantly "over"-feeding them (due to the extra "vitamins")...

Probably won't come as a surprise, but my D. capensis hasn't had a problem with these blood-worms... So, it looks like the extra "vitamins"(?) aren't detrimental after all... :) *whew*

jonnyq,
I would have mentioned that, but I didn't notice this thread, until now.

I want to address the earlier post too, about VFT needing live prey to keep the traps closed and initiate digestion. The only thing necessary is to simply have the trap close on the dry fish food, then spray some water into the trap so that the fish food becomes wet. You will have a digestive response, if the fish food is a high protein type.

The only thing necessary is to simply have the trap close on the dry fish food, then spray some water into the trap so that the fish food becomes wet.

Joseph - this may be a stupid question, but how would one get water into the trap after it's closed? Would you squirt some in there with a pipet or something?

The freeze dried bloodworms are good for Drosera and Pinguicula. Try a light spray of water after you feed, it seems to help the digestion.

That answers my next question.. I was wondering whether or not this method could be used on pings as well.

One thing I don't like about using the stuff is that it makes me sneeze!

Joseph - this may be a stupid question, but how would one get water into the trap after it's closed? Would you squirt some in there with a pipet or something?
The edges of the trap where the halves come together will draw it in by capillary action.

Back