What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

alright can anyone beat this............

cold snap over much of the western US......ive got -27 right now, figuring windchill in its -49.....day time high w/o windchill predicted at -18 with wind chill lows of -45....at 3am it was -26 with a windchill of -52..................and to make the whole thing more miserable.....humidity is over 70%........

Big deal! Low last night 61. High today only 83. Now that is truely brutal!

Big deal! Low last night 61. High today only 83. Now that is truely brutal!

LMAO! I hate Florida, it's the middle of December for crying out loud! Everyone who is freezing out there, stay safe :)

... I can beat that. I got stuck outside in that weather. With a sweater on. I was such a idiot.

... HOUSING DOORS SHOULD NOT BE LOCKED UNEXPECTEDLY. I just had to run to one place within easy walking distance... not smart but it was so quick it did not matter. But because of the weather it was closed. Locked. So I went back to my housing and tried to open the door.

It was locked. It is never locked, that door is to REMAIN OPEN AT ALL TIMES. And of course, it was a quick run so of course I did not think to bring a cell phone. Or keys, because, you know, I wouldn't need them :censor:. Dumb move.

Places closed up early because of the weather... everything was ****ing locked. I ran from ****ing building to building trying to find shelter but everything was ****ing locked. I couldn't get inside. DO YOU know how fast you start to loose heat in that kind of wind. I started to get really tired but not feel the cold. I fell over a few times and it was kind of surreal because a face full of snow should feel colder. Or, feel like something.

Really tired. Now I know what it feels like to loose body core temperature. I thought for a second that it was not so cold that I couldn't rest... in the snow. Right after thought that, it was my "holy ****!" moment. What had been a big annoyance became much much more. Never been more worried than I was last night. Normally short distances seemed to go on forever.

Ugh, it was horrible. They lock up everything on Sunday night. And because of the conditions, things that are normally unlocked are closed. Why?

I managed to get into another place a good distance away, but that was more of a matter of luck. And by then I was sort of half-mad. I know my core temperature dropped because I could feel it. Hell, I still feel cold in my chest right now even though I must be back to normal by now.

I hunted down the person in charge of my building today and said some not-so kind things. I scared the crap out of her, in fact.

damn man......you win......no contest.......

No way can I beat that. Just for fun I looked up Fargo's weather last night. Yikes all you folks in the upper midwest sure get brutal winters.

Jeez at 20 degrees my cars door locks freeze, the car doesn't run well, and our home furnace has to run nearly all the time.

The coldest I've experienced is -20, and I remember it hurt my lungs to breath it in.

I don't think I can beat that, but I woke up really early in the morning thinking there was a tornado or something because of this loud whooshing noise. It was only the wind, but it was blowing really hard and is still doing it. The wind is just making it colder. Half of the snow melted, causing flooding, then most of it froze again, so our whole driveway is just ice. We also lost power, and our TV isn't working. At least there's a lot less clouds so it looks pretty nice out.

It does hurt to breathe it. And trust me when I say that almost no feeling in the world is worse than the one you feel when the door that you know should lead to shelter because it has always opened for you before doesn't budge.

No way can I beat that. Just for fun I looked up Fargo's weather last night. Yikes all you folks in the upper midwest sure get brutal winters.

Jeez at 20 degrees my cars door locks freeze, the car doesn't run well, and our home furnace has to run nearly all the time.

The coldest I've experienced is -20, and I remember it hurt my lungs to breath it in.

the funny thing is while i think the starter went out in my 2007 truck and it wouldnt start even after being plugged in all night......my 13 year old jeep cherokee out in the street dang near started without being plugged in all night, i think if it was about 15 degrees warmer it would have started up no problem.......something bout that aint right...........

Wow Finch, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Maybe if you still don't feel well, you should see a doctor?

The coldest I can remember was -42C about 15 years ago... and yes, I went to school, and yes, we had classes, though there were only like 5 people hahaha. In any case, as soon as you walk out the door, everything on your face instantly freezes - hair, eyebrows, eyelashes :) Tree trunks burst open, car batteries freeze... damn global worming! You just don't get the same weather anymore!

11 FEET of snow in 2 weeks 2 winters ago and I had to keep clear about half a tennis courts worth of space (between the driveway and the sidewalk if you lump 'em). To put it in perspective for those who are blessedly SNOWLESS, one shovel full of the stuff weighs about the same as 2 loaves of supermarket bread. Picture half a tennis court stacked with loaves of bread about to your chest, then remove them with a shovel 2 at a time, throwing them 5 -8 feet in the air each time. Repeat same every day for 2 weeks in sub-zero conditions. One shovelfull of chest high snow is about 2-3 inches thick if you slice the glacier from chest to ground to the width of the shovel blade. My solution was to not let it accumulate, so spent most of the 2 weeks outside, removing the dandruff of the gods as it fell and sleeping for a few hrs before returning to the Plutonic Waste. Road plows would plow the permafrost back chest high at least 4x daily, and this stuff had to be taken out by loosening with a mattock before throwing it back godwards.

I know some of you wonder why I don't have a snowblower but the answer involves WOMAN, so 'nuff said there, right guys?

I had friends close to Siberia email me with pity since apparently we made the news there.
Folk in Alaska think I'm crazy to live here. I live in Oswego, which probably translates from the Native American "Us We Go" ...and they did, each winter to more Southern climes.

The post script is that today here in December, its raining and in the 50's! Bring on the global warming!

was 40 above and i was running around in a t-shirt 5 days ago........today i put on gloves for the 15 feet from the truck to the shop door.....a few years back we hired an editor that lived her whole life in LA county.......before Christmas she was calling us all masochists and [bleep]ing idiots for living in this kinda climate......we told her wait till it actually gets cold in January......cold enough to make steel brittle in the winter.....hot enough in the summer to darn near fry an egg on the pavement....Montana....land of schizophrenic weather and ppl :D

cold snap over much of the western US......ive got -27 right now, figuring windchill in its -49.....day time high w/o windchill predicted at -18 with wind chill lows of -45....at 3am it was -26 with a windchill of -52..................and to make the whole thing more miserable.....humidity is over 70%........

rattler,
I can easily understand temps that low..
but how can the temp be that low AND have such a high humidity at the same time?

Around here..when we get down to around zero F we also have VERY low humidity..
its extremely dry..

we often hear "its too cold to snow"..
the air can be SO cold, that it becomes bone dry, and there isnt enough mositure in it to form snow..(unless its lake-effect, picking up water from the great lakes..but thats different)

I thought it was pretty much universal that low temp = dry air..
but apparently not!

so im just curious..what is it in your climate gives you low temp + high humidity?

Scot

70% humidity is just the amount of water the atmosphere can hold, it is completely dependent on air temperature. It can still be cold, dry and at 70% because 70% at that temperature is still dry.

It was more of blowing than snowing.

not sure why we have the high humidity........actually its rather odd....usually the air is bone dry when its this cold out....near as i can figure this air mass passed over the pacific for a bit before coming to us kinda in a lazy "L" path....usually they come more or less straight down from the arctic across the Canadian prairie with no where to pick up any moisture.......we are technically borderline desert as we average 12 inches or less of precip, we get extream cold and generally very lil snow....actually this front only brought about an inch of fairly light weight snow so im not sure why there is so much moisture still in the air....right now its -17(-39 with wind chill) and the humidity is still over 60%....

From the standpoint of how much moisture is actually in the air, there isn't much difference between low and high humidity when temperatures are real low. But the difference is very noticeable.

Well, I lost. Today it was 69 out! Its been a warm day in December...

We hit 61 today and it's still 56 at 9:45. I've seen the temperature drop faster in mid-summer. But some people ~20 miles away still don't have power back after last week's ice storm. Tomorrow will have a more normal high in the 30s, along with a few inches of snow & sleet.

And the snow and sleet arrived on time...
Bruce my heat went out during that cold snap. I closed up all doors and opened the oven door and slept on the couch...
The ups and downs the past three days have been ridiculous.

Back