What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It pays to workout

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
I only workout about 4 hours a week.
the decrease in everyday pain is great.
I have had back and neck probs due to skateboarding and mountain biking, they are gone now:)
The fur has to go:)
flex3.jpg

flex.jpg

flex2.jpg

congrats and lookin' good! :blush:

Thats awsome that the pain has gone down, Im just starting to work out (starting to run and lift) and man its brutal getting into it. Right now im doing about 3 hours of that and then hockey in a week. I hurt for three days with shinsplints OUCH! Hopefully it will help with some of my ice and roller hockey injuries to my lower back and shoulders in the long run. (yes...im a girl and I play ice hockey :) )

NaRnAr, the pain goes away after a week or 2.
I lift lighter weights then most noobs. The proper form with exercises is key.
I only bench 100lbs, but do so with clean form, no arching of the back or grunting needed:)
A good clean set is all that is needed for gains.
women don't have to worry about gaining too much muscle with lifting heavy weights. It's a myth that women gain tons of muscle with weight lifting.

lots repetition with lighter weights can usually do alot more good than a few reps with large weights......in the winter and when im not laying carpet i just use resistance bands for my arms and shoulders cause i dont have room for a weight bench.......some of the strongest guys i knew growing up werent those that lifted weights, they were the farm boys that would spend lots of time just moving 60 pound straw bales by hand to feed cows......they rarely had to lift more than that but it resulted in some outstanding feats of power if yah ever got them in the weight room, they could usually bench more than the guys that spent most their time in the weight room.......

nice man! whats ur workout regime? I started the whole cardio with brisk climbing 15 floors of stairs and then working out with free weights using measley 10 lbs per arm. :( Even that...I completely stopped now. Any tips on how to stick to it? I don't really have a home gym or time to go to the gym, so I am trying to figure out home developed methods of getting a good core with endurance development.

It's only hard @ first, the pain disappears after a week or two. You may also feel nauseous at first. It all goes away if you can stick to it.
rattler_mt, I agree with that:)
vraev, I don't have a workout regimine down yet but I feel it's important to balance pushing exercises with pulling exercises.
a lot of guys go into the gym to just workout the show muscles and don't do any leg or pulling exercises. do plenty of legwork and pulling.
I do pushing exercises on one day and pulling exercises on another day. Eat well and cut the junk food.:)
cardio is great for weight loss but hinders bulking if done too much, It's GREAT for the heart and for warming up though.

nice man! whats ur workout regime? I started the whole cardio with brisk climbing 15 floors of stairs and then working out with free weights using measley 10 lbs per arm. :( Even that...I completely stopped now. Any tips on how to stick to it? I don't really have a home gym or time to go to the gym, so I am trying to figure out home developed methods of getting a good core with endurance development.

only way to develop endurance is to do it, you need to run or bike or use the stationary forms of each.....you also need to switch up the exercise routine all the time, if yah do the same thing day after day, week after week it starts loosing its effectiveness seriously work out your upper body one week, abs the next week, legs the following all the while doing basic stuff for each that your not concentrating on and doing the cardio....if you do the same boring routine your body will get used to it and you will stop making progress and can even slip backwards........BTW if yah are poor and need a way to get an exercise bike or tredmill look on Craigslist and garage sales.....most ppl use them for a few months, quit using them, they sit around for 6 months to a year and then they sell them at a huge discount :grin: i paid $20 for my exercise bike and it was practically new.........

But where's the head?? This forum has a lot of headless members. ???

ah no! im totally out of shpae right now...my lacrosse season is coming up...ah flashbacks! Pain! AHHH!

Im pretty impressed though! ive noticed pain is often helped by pysical activity too...hmm.

vraev, sticking to it is feeling good after working out. much like cleaning the house. I know it sounds lame but it's great to get something done:)
The gym can be fun after you get used to it. You get a natural high from working out.

I need to work out, and I need to find motivation to do so.

I like to just keep a set of dumbbells next to my desk. I got them when I broke my leg, as it was one of the only things I could do for physical activity. I'll pick them up and do a set of something whenever I notice them and have a spare minute. It's made a tremendous difference; usually I work out about 5-10 hours a week doing martial arts and stuff, but the addition of 10-15 minutes of random anaerobic exercises each day has induced changes that years of cardio and endurance training never even hinted at. Still wish I could cut out the gut, though. :)
~Joe

lats and forearms look great!...next comes the fun part...chest and abs lol (I hate crunches!) ...I've been working out on and off for about three years now...by the summer of 07, my arms were pretty big, but I was 190 lbs at about 5' 9"...I got a job at a nursery the following april, and now I've leveled off at 160 lbs...unfortunatley, I stopped working out while I was losing the weight, so my arms got quite a bit smaller...I've started working out again...now I know a lot more about how to put on muscle, and it's starting to come back pretty quickly...I want to add maybe 8 more lbs of muscle, and lose 10 more lbs of fat...but my strength has really improved also...put on Eruption by Van Halen the other night, and managed to crank out 47 push ups...

keep on lifting!

-GxBxE

You've come a long ways Zero!! I found this video of you quite a few years back... You're definitely moving along! :-)) heh :p

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WsQy54p2zQQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WsQy54p2zQQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ack, that's terrifying! That's why my barbell stays on or near the weight bench at all times.
~Joe

I tried to get into working out once... This was my first day there.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2HaBiEtcAto&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2HaBiEtcAto&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wow, Andy, you've got to be more careful next time. ;)

Haha, I laughed pretty hard, but ouch...serious back damage.

Wow, I was laughing before that even started playing. Just from the first frame, you can tell that that guy's feet will be flying over his head. The music is gold.
~Joe

Those both crack me up big time! Seriously though I have a Bowflex Revolution that I've never really had much room to use (It folds up is a great selling point! But will you ever have room to unfold it is the question ;) ) I'll be moving soon though.. so I'll finally be able to have it available. Still doubt I'd post pictures though. Perhaps if I had something to show for it I'd change my tune! Happen to have a before pic Zero? And how long have you been consistent with it?

Andrew

Joe is well into his 8th year of daily working out and has now turned to personal trainers. Here he is on his first personal training session. :grin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hAamT19e1QU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hAamT19e1QU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back