What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UV protected trays

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I usually do not use trays for my outdoor plants. Just to carry them indoors at winter and then back outdoors in spring and unloading them from the trays.

Last year I was lazy and kept many of my pots in the Sterilite 27 Quart Storage Box / trays.
http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=39 (item 1956)

It was nicer in the trays as I did not have to water the plants every other day because when it rained it filled the trays up. I ended up going through less gallons of water this way.
But there is a problem. The suns UV rays destroy the plastic making them very brittle and done after a season.
So I'm looking for UV trays about the same size as the Sterilite 27 Quart Storage Box item 1956 - 23"L x 16 3/4"W x 5 7/8"H. Anyone have any idea where to find something like that?

I have used black, cement mixing trays from home depot for 2 years with no degrading of the plastic. They are located where you would expect in the cement/sand section. Those clear plant trays and indoor plastic trays turn to a brittle mess after a year in the sun. It isn't good when a piece breaks off causing me to drop a plant!
You might want to check the plastic code on the black cement trays to see what type it is then search for the same plastic in whatever size you need.

See this thread

Light colored acrylic paint will also improve resistance to UV.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice.

About 2 weeks ago I got some black cement mixing trays from Home Depot at under $5.00 a piece. They where nicer then the ones at Lowes. Lowes seemed more flimsy and not as nice of a mold then the ones at Home Depot.

That's strange... I was at Lowes' and HD the other day and found myself thinking the opposite thing. But then, the ones at Lowes' were about twice the size, so that kind of swayed me too. I'm excited about trying them - right now I've been shifting to using kiddie pools outside because I got a bunch for cheap last year. But cement tubs are definitely the future of outdoor tray-growing, IMO. :p
~Joe

Heh, I just bought 4 of those same 27 qt Sterlites for carrying my cacti and mesembs outside for the summer on Tuesday! :D
If you've got a mix of square and round pots you really can cram a lot in each one - I was surprised.

I spraypainted my tray white. Takes a lot of paint to turn a green tray white! It should be uv and heat resistant now.

They do sell a form of Krylon that is made just for plastics - there's a whole line of colors. I can't think of what the name is offhand but I remember seeing it. All the spray cans in my sculpting closet are automotive primer but maybe I'll get a can of it while I'm getting groceries at wally world today and post the name and can here in a few hours if someone doesn't beat me to it. Especially if the trays get brittle.

Edit:
FUSION is the name of the plastic spray paint it shows a molded plastic chair on the label. I had to hit the "Post Quick Reply" button to get my memory to work. Like sitting down after standing in a room and wondering why you're there... :D

Another edit:
Here's a pic of the stuff from online it comes in a variety of colors not just these:
krylongroup.jpg

I originally used the Sterilite 27 Quart Storage Boxes to transport my plants from the garage (dormancy) to outside in spring. Unload the plants and take the boxes back to the garage. I did this for around 3 years with the same boxes.
Last year I decided to leave the plants in the Sterilite 27 Quart Storage Boxes all summer. This was great because I did not have to water near as much since the boxes filled up with water. I did have holes drilled in the boxes around half way up so they did not fill up completely.
As most know that the sun destroys these boxes after 1 summer in the sun. That's why I asked and am now using the cement trays.
I read where some other people had painted Sterilite and other boxes and they held up to the suns rays then. My only concern with painting the boxes would be is there any chemicals that would be released from the trays when there is a few inches of water in them long term and then enter the soil of the pots, and cause any adverse effects on the plants??

Thats strange, I have this big plastic bucket out side for a 2 years to catch rain, doesn't seem damaged at all. infact, it fells like the new ones at stores and its just plain old paste colored clear plastic.

Back