What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USPS rate increase... again.

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Well, I got information today about a rate increase that takes effect in 2 days. So I figured I'd post it here for everyone that haven't heard about it yet that may be in the middle of trades or just wondering why stuff is more to ship next week in general....

I need to check out the details of that new smaller flat rate box though- the larger ones never really benefited me, perhaps this one will. (doubt it though)
Andrew

Service Average Price Increase
Express Mail5.7%
Priority Mail 3.9%
Parcel Select 5.9%
International Shipping Services 8.5%

This is the first time the USPS is adjusting prices for its shipping services on a different schedule from its mailing service price adjustments. Price changes for mailing services, including stamp prices, will be effective in May 2009.

The USPS is also introducing a new, smaller Priority Mail flat-rate box. The new box is priced the same as the flat-rate envelope and provides a great option for customers sending smaller items that require sturdy packaging and the convenience of flat rate pricing.

Thanks for the info. Glad I mailed the birthday card to my friend in Japan today. I think I saved about 7 or 8 cents. 8 cents is 8 cents. Better in my pocket than in the PO's.

:censor:This is great news....

Huh, must not be any increases in bulk mail rates cos we haven't received any notice of rate changes at work. I think ours went up last July or so though IIRC.

we didnt get any notice on our periodical rates for the paper either.....must just be limited to the areas Andrew listed......the wife would have come unglued if they raised the periodical rates again this soon........

Well the government has to pay for that 700 billion dollar bailout somehow. They will use the post office for some of it. LOL.

Didnt they raise prices not too long ago?

So gas prices hit the basement and then they raise prices? Hmmm.

According to my mail lady (what does she REALLY know? she didn't even know of this increase) the USPS is in big time financial status... has been a couple years now. Yes the rates just went up not too long ago, and will again come May... I don't know if this is a partial jump to that planned increase (so that increase will be smaller percent wise) or if they'll up what that have planned for may because of this increase.

the post office is supposed to be revenue neutral......what they take in is supposed to equal the cost of operation......salaries, gas prices and especially retirement packages all take lots of $$ and they have been running in the red for some years, congress got after them hard a couple years ago to get back to being able to support themselves............

Back