What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pure Water Bounty

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I work for a pharmaceutical manufacturer and we manufacture what is called Water For Injection (WFI). It gets used in all of the products we manufacture and it is essentially the same as distilled water. I have to test the water for Total Organic Compounds (TOC), as well as Conductivity, Heavy Metals, and Nitrates. As you would expect, it has to be almost devoid of anything. I liken my position to that of Seinfeld - the show about nothing. Nothing is good. A little is okay, but nothing is better.

Anyways, we also buy what is called EP water, which is also ultra pure and I use this to run tests on our water. At the end of the calendar year we were "stuck with" 21 liters of expired water, to which I requested taking home with me, instead of having it dumped down the sink. That request was approved. Too bad I can't take home the water that we manufacture, even if it is also expired after 24 hours. Now that would be a real bounty!

What happens to to the expired water you manufacture and how much is there every day? If it goes to the sewer, you should suggest they do some kind of reclamation, such as discharging it to a water garden that you could fill with sphagnum and CPs to get good local publicity for the company.

I'll have to ask. A lot of water gets dumped down the sink, as in "sanitary sewer" but I don't know if they recycle it.

I'd like to think they've already given some thought to using it for something. If there's enough of it, they have a lot of options, such as using it for other process water, irrigation, flushing toilets or whatever. Unfortunately, big water users often get water rates that get very low as they use more and more of it, so it's cheaper to flush wastewater than to do the retrofitting necessary to use it in replacement of "new" water somewhere else in the plant.

Back