What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help with a possible pest ID

I have these webs on my pings. I thought they were spider mites but I can't see any of the mites even under a magnifying glass. I have tried tapping leaves with white paper under them and still have not found what is making these webs. I have had mites in the past and they are easy for me to see without magnification needed. I am at a loss here. Anyone ever used ortho on pings?
I have yet to see anything moving on or around the pings short of fungus knats.
I checked all my other plants and the pings are the only plants with these webs.
PIC, Those dots don't move

what.jpg

May be it is just strands of mucous from the plant itself as the leaves develop?

definitely doesnt look like spider mites, ive never seen them actually create strands of webbing from leaf to leaf as in your picture. i notice they tend to make a sort of cluster webbing when they are going to lay eggs to help protect it, and if they web, its a guarantee that other spider mites will be all over the webbing as well.

i do have a similar problem with my neps but i believe it to be caused from actual tiny spiders hanging around the pitchers and in the soil. I too have yet to actually see anything spider mites around but there is alot of web on the plants.

~billy

I have some cherry tomato plants that I am trying to get rid of spider mites. They do have the webbing, but it is much more dense like a black widow web if you have ever seen one of those. However, I can easily see the mites on the web.

I just can't figure out what is making the webs. they are on 30-40 pings. There is no visible damage to the plants though.
I don't think it's plant mucous because I have never observed this until a couple of weeks ago.
Anyone else have an idea as to what may be causing this?

Thanks,
Zero

it is the mucous from the leaves, my pings do it all the time. when the leaf comes from the center and opens up, there is already dew on the leaves and its somewhat stuck to the other leaves that it was touching before. its just mucous/dew. dont worry

Anyone else have an idea as to what may be causing this?
Small spiders (agree w/ Billy) especially since the plants are still healthy.

If you wreck the webbing, how long until it comes back?

these spiders are all over my plants. No big deal. I only see the webs when i mist the plants. If you do mess the wbes up they are back the next day. And the spiders can escape pitcher plants and weak dew. They are fairly annoying, but no real problems.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad no one said they were some killer pest that was going to wipe up my entire plant collection:)
I'll have to check if the webs/mucous come back. I don't remember ever seeing this before but I may have just been ignoring it.

I'd say its a colony of Hit Mites, they will destruy your collection starting with webs that will slowly suck the living lifes out of your plants!

It's just the mucus from the leaves as they mature and separate from the growing crown of the plant.

I see it happen on my pings too.

That shows us just what a clever and ingenious design these plants are; that that the capturing mucus is so fine and so strong it can appear webbing-like and still entangle small insects for nourishment.

Back