What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffe Filters - #8 Suggestion

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I got an Email from a forum friend about the uses of coffee filters:

Coffee filters -- not just for making coffee! And you can purchase 1,000 at the Dollar Store for almost nothing.
1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers to prevent splatters.
2. Clean windows and mirrors. Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.
3. Protect your good china . Separate your good dishes by putting a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.
5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.
7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
8. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.
9. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke hold in a coffee filter and insert stick.
10. Put a few on a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. Soaks out all the grease.

I also use them to drain the 10% bleach solution for B. liniflora seeds and I think that if the filter goes up the sides of a pot, it can provide some wicking action.

Whaddya think?

Interesting at least. I will probably try washing a window with one soon. I'd be worried that they are too course of paper and would scratch the surface slightly.

all the answers sound great, and i will definately try some, lining a pot for sure! My girlfriend will definately be happy about the microwave splatter guard... besides, we stopped drinking coffee!

also, put the seed pod of a sarracenia into one and let the seeeds come out XP

That's funny. Just today at work I had to create a marketing flyer with that very thing about coffee filters. How does it relate to real estate? It doesn't. lol ???

all the answers sound great, and i will definately try some, lining a pot for sure! My girlfriend will definately be happy about the microwave splatter guard... besides, we stopped drinking coffee!

Another household item that makes a fabulous microwave splatter guard is a thing called: a paper plate.

--The Original microwave splatter guard-- ;)

lol fryster, i'll keep that in mind

I used to work in a water quality lab, and we would have to be extremely careful about washing our sample bottles with the paper print-out labels. We had to leave them in a hydrochloric acid bath overnight in order to prevent contamination from the paper. Decomposing paper releases nitrogen (or is it phosphorous? I can't remember!)...good for most plants, but probably not for carnivores.

I've tried coffee filters at the bottoms of other plants' pots...they worked well, but got moldy and decomposed quickly. Know what works well? the little patches they sell for screen doors.

I used to work in a water quality lab, and we would have to be extremely careful about washing our sample bottles with the paper print-out labels. We had to leave them in a hydrochloric acid bath overnight in order to prevent contamination from the paper. Decomposing paper releases nitrogen (or is it phosphorous? I can't remember!)...good for most plants, but probably not for carnivores.

Emily, you should what we have to go through to satisfy the Japanese Pharmacopeia, for this Ammonium Limit Test! We have to soak our glassware in Nerl water overnight and them triple rinse them immediately before use. (Similar sort of thing for Aluminum testing.)

Ya know, Pyro, I believe, suggested a bottom layer of LFS as a good medium for covering the drainage holes but allowing water to pass.

Back