What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendations for CP attractions in FL

mindmaze

From the Tropics
Heyo everyone!

I'm gonna be visiting Florida this week for my Medicine Residency interviews this week and I was wondering if anyone on the message boards has any recommendations for me. I'm renting a car, so i'll be able to drive to most places that the GPS has in its memory. hehehe :D I'll be driving between Jacksonville, Orlando, and Miami, so there has to be something "botanical" that's interesting there. Much obliged!

Joel

Hmm, there probably is, but none that I'm aware of. :/

There must be Sarracenias up around Jacksonville, but I don't know where and it wouldn't be a great time of the year to see them. If you go from Orlando to Miami (or vice versa) by way of Sebring, you'll travel through Florida's agricultural heartland and can stop at Highlands Hammock State Park (in Sebring), which is very cool. I'd rather travel through orange groves and cattle range than the endless subdivisions and strip malls along the coast. Good luck in your interviews.

I live in Florida and I'm not very familar with CP locations. Here in Tampa, there's a marshy area behind my house that has some Drosera and Utricularia (and I'm desperately looking for any Pinguicula in my area). I'm actually thinking about introducing some Drosera Capensis to the area to see if they would thrive here.

When I get a car and a job, I would like to take a trip to northern Florida and visit a wetland.

DO NOT introduce ANYTHING. BAD idea.

Try visiting Sunbelle Exotics. They have great neps/

Try visiting Sunbelle Exotics. They have great neps/
Based on the recent thefts, I believe they stopped visitations (although it doesn't hurt to check).

There are a number of Florida folks on the various forums - you might want to PM them directly (Brian Barnes - drosera5150 & MannyH to name 2).

I'm actually thinking about introducing some Drosera Capensis to the area to see if they would thrive here.
Really bad idea. Read a few articles on introduced exotics to get an idea of how bad this can be. While they are a problem everywhere, Florida has a huge number of examples. Here's one article to give you a sample.

Excerpt:
Over 200 exotic plant species occur in Everglades National Park - more than 20 percent of the park's total number of plant species. Some of them are highly invasive and pose a serious threat to native communities. Brazilian pepper, for example, has decimated 125,000 acres in the park, or nearly 2.5 times the size of Washington D.C., while melaleuca, old world climbing fern, and Australian pine each affect more than 10,000 acres. With an ability to grow and reproduce rapidly, most plant invaders can swiftly dominate a landscape, turning unique, diverse plant communities into single-species monocultures.

If you can, you can go around the Florida Panhandle to look for some Sarracenia leucophylla.

I live in Florida and I'm not very familar with CP locations. Here in Tampa, there's a marshy area behind my house that has some Drosera and Utricularia (and I'm desperately looking for any Pinguicula in my area). I'm actually thinking about introducing some Drosera Capensis to the area to see if they would thrive here.

When I get a car and a job, I would like to take a trip to northern Florida and visit a wetland.

I have to agree. VERY BAD IDEA!!! Native species can be easily overun and demolished by invasive species.

Back