What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pet peeves

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date
When people say pottery shards, its sherds people its an E learn to pronounce words correctly. (also its milk not melk).

When students act like I dont see them text messaging under the table.

When people have a bad disposition for no reason.

Shard IS a word. A language isn't always set in stone and will change over time. Besides, it sounds a lot better then sherds anyway. Also my computer thinks sherds is not a word as well. I also hate the word fishes even though its a word too.

Not to derail the thread, but the Shamwow guy (Vince) is hilarious. Have you seen his "SlapCHop" ad? Pure Gold - "You're gonna love my nuts!" and "fettuccine, linguine, martini, bikini!".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs :jester:

The shamwow does work. I've never used a "Shamwow" but I was a diver when I was a young lad and we used "Shamees" to dry ourselves off. They were amazing. Of course, I didn't just set it on a piece of carpet with coke spills to see if it sucked up half of it with no pressure, but if it is on TV, right?!

xvart.

I think we got Shamwow before, or something like it. They lied, it actually moved the water, it barely picked it up! Anyway

The sound of a beating heart.
When people wear HUGE shirts and shorts that reach their ankles to look "gangsters".
People with more bark than bite.
When people think all stars go supernova. There's also just regular novas... (not trying to direct this to you, Carn)
When people think the Sun is a billion degrees on the surface. No.
Paired up with slackers when doing projects or something, I do most of it.
When people laugh at the word fart and poop.
Billy May.

When people wear HUGE shirts and shorts that reach their ankles to look "gangsters".

if your mom drives you to school you aint no gangster, pull your pants up! :D

Well Sir capensis I was confusing super nova with red giant, i thought you guys were saying our sun couldn't be a red giant, thats why I was so insistant until i found out i interchanges super nova with red giant.

-Overseasoned food
-colorful clothing
-Capensis calling me out
-waiting for my plants to arrive
-waiting for something exciting
-Bad graphics
-grade 5 kids that just had a science lesson about chem and think they know more than a grade 11 chemistry student
- People who talk in slang
making errands for someone else, and they complain because it wasn't the brand or type they didn't specify.

Shard IS a word. A language isn't always set in stone and will change over time. Besides, it sounds a lot better then sherds anyway. Also my computer thinks sherds is not a word as well. I also hate the word fishes even though its a word too.

Shard is a word, but it does not refer to broken ceramics. Those are sherds. Also your computer probably thinks archaeology is spelled wrong if you include the extra a, however, the standard in both N. America and Europe is to use the extra a after the arch, so your computer isnt always right. I don't even want to get into the dynamic nature of language. This fact however does not change the fact that broken ceramics are known as shErds and saying shards is a misuse of the word.

ktulu..............near as i can figure you must hate the english language if your arguing if sherd is pronounced shard or sherd......

maybe you can tell me the proper pronunciation of sidhe or crwth :D

BTW shard is a "a piece or fragment of a brittle substance" so while it may not technically be correct it does work.........

Never argue with an anthropologist... They'll always dig something up! :D

Here it is Rattler:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherd

William Burroughs said it best: "The word is a virus", each word is like a virus in that it only leads to propagating more of itself and more mutations (new words), once other people pick it up it spreads like a plague... lol!

dude, im a newspaperman......figure this is a no win situation going in :D

lol!

At least he's not demanding we say Ostracon! :D

I had a teacher who used to go bonkers when you spelled Neandertal as Neanderthal. "There's no H!" he'd get all flustered. I think some of us did it just to watch the event!

went to a hospital board meeting tonight mainly to complain about the rent a doc that my wife had her run in with and he darn near killed her........the board chairman looked at my wifes neatly typed report of the incident and shook his head and said "even doctors should know not to pick a fight with someone that buys ink by the barrel....." :D the rent a doc is going under peer review and will likely wind up in front of the state medical board defending his actions..........

Sorry to hear about the wife! The company Allina Medical Centers here is being class action sued here for something as well. They're one of our main clients (we send out their medical bills) but I wonder for how much longer!? lol!

When National Rent A Car got sued for making their Somali employees work off the clock their mailings with us dried right up.

the wife is fine but required emergency surgery at another hospital.....the board appears to be on our side and i should have the SOB's head on a platter inside 6 months.....not interested in sueing the hospital, aint going to accomplish anything of value.........

not interested in sueing the hospital, aint going to accomplish anything of value.........

You sure you're an American, bub? I mean... That statement right there spits in the face of one of the greatest American values. It's their money, and it could be yours without you having to work for it! ;)

I think it's slightly more serious than a pet peeve, but people who go around suing willy nilly drive me nuts.

Ostracon it is!

Neandertal did have the h officially dropped so technically its not correct to have the H in there. Plus if you put it there people pronounce it and look like idiots.

But really its just that word that it bothers me when people mispronounce. I am not even going to try to pronounce the other words you put up rattler. I can say this though if I submitted a journal article or my thesis with shard in place of sherd it would be rejected as containing errors. Luckily I do lithics so I dont have to worry about that.

If they reject your thesis you can sue them for unjustly rejecting your thesis!

People Using more than one exclamation mark!!!!!!!!!!!

I recalled the Neandertal thing some ago when I spelled it (correctly, without the H) and Firefox told me it was wrong without including the H. Which reminded me of Mr. Finnegan and his fits of anthropological hysteria. The H wasn't the only offense in his class but the one which seemed to be his biggest peeve.

Someone mentioned it earlier, I also hated getting paired in "work groups" in school, cos I was the only one who did the work. Down with "team building" exercises!

Back