User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More bad ideas from our pals at the post office...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PO doesn't have a lot of options. They'd like to close a lot of those little POs and end home delivery in a lot of rural area, but even mentioning it raises a political firestorm. It makes sense from a narrow economic perspective, but would be a great loss. The mail has more value to American culture/society than just the value of dropping off the bills & junk mail every day.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .in the smaller post offices that make up the vast majority of the employees in the USPS, they do not have enough employees on staff so most everyone that works on Saturdays gets paid over time... i know this is the case here..
    That's how it is here too. Until a couple years ago we still had old timers in beat down station wagons with an orange sign sign stuck in the hood that said "US Mail" delivering the rural routes! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One place I lived in Maine had a little PO set up in the front porch of a woman's house. She even had some PO boxes. There was no delivery and people without a PO box just got their mail at a little counter. I never got much mail and she'd call me if anything came for me. After I moved, she kept forwarding mail to me even after the forwarding deadline and would write a note on the envelope saying she hoped things were going well. Unfortunately, it was one of the POs that closed back in the 90s, but maybe she didn't want PO stuff cluttering up her front porch anymore and retired. Bean counters look at a situation like that and are horrified by the inefficiency, but it brought people together and we need more, not less of that.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a small PO here, too. They are short handed. They need at least one more employee to help cover for someone taking vacation or falling ill. Two more would be better. One upside to the economic downturn is they were able to do this past Christmas without overtime.

Any way my point is they are "saving" money by not replacing all the people who retire or move on to other offices or jobs.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would imagine one of the reason they are considering droping a day during the week and staying open saturday is because many people who have 9-5 jobs m-f cant make it to the post office except on saturday. If my local post office is any indication the branches are busiest on saturday.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    That's how it is here too. Until a couple years ago we still had old timers in beat down station wagons with an orange sign sign stuck in the hood that said "US Mail" delivering the rural routes! lol
    actually we have that here for the rural routes and one thing to keep in mind those that do rural route 90% of the time ARE NOT USPS employees they are contract laborers and they do not get the benefit packages the regular USPS employees do......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in canada, they are open mon-fri only, no weekends, don't bother looking for any plants in the mail on the weekend. No bills either though, but that's what's great, no stresses till monday. You need to do business with canadapost, do so during the week! The mail they would send out on saturdays would be spread out between mon-tues-wed... and they wouldn't have to pay employees OT, cause they'd have the weekend off, we all know it is better to have a happy mailman, than an unhappy one... my2˘
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12