What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Facebook... or Myspace for that matter?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
I'm not that sophisticated, so I'll bypass Myspace and concentrate on schoolmates. Who knows.. maybe I'll find some long lost buddies...

Because those have taken the place of face-to-face communications. You don't talk to people my age, you facebook them. Or go facebooking (it is a verb too) – everyone does it and it is a significant part of the social scene for those of us in my and younger age groups. That’s why you do it.

I hate the thing but do do it to a limited degree because I can't really afford not to.

But I cannot say that I ever want to see random people from my high school. I hated it. Hated it, and don’t really want the memories of it brought up to the surface again by seeing people I never really knew even then.

One of my kids and several co-workers and friends have suggested signing up for Facebook and/or Myspace. Why? What are the pros and cons of it?

No need. They're mostly for kids.

I got better things to do than to mess around on so called "social" sites....

But I cannot say that I ever want to see random people from my high school. I hated it. Hated it, and don’t really want the memories of it brought up to the surface again by seeing people I never really knew even then.

I hated grade school as well. But after umpteen years, it's pretty neat to re-connect with long lost buddies. I hear ya, though. For you the wounds are fresh. For me it's an opportunity for healing and renewal.

I have a FB account. At first I didn't pay much attention to it but then I started getting messages from people and seeing their photos. I keep up with friends through that. Instead of having to email a bunch of people that you are taking a trip to FL, you just post it on FB and then everyone knows. But the best thing is you get see lots of photos. You can post your own or look at other people photos. And sometimes I get found by old friends from schoool. You can also start groups. NASC has a FB page for connecting with other Sarracenia/conservation people.

I have two words for Facebook: Overwhelming & Networking

Ummm... does anybody recognize this individual?

Alison Ezmichaels-Rabbitt added you as a friend on Facebook...

I haven't a clue and an FB search yielded nothing.

I'll try not to go off and rant about personal communication...

Yeah I do not get these things either. There is a reason I am not in touch with 90% of my high school, I did not like them in the first place so why would I want to "re-kindle" relationships that were never there to begin with??

I totally agree, Pyro. It's like when I was seven years out of high school graduation and I went home to visit my family and went out to a bar with some of my good friends and I ran into some people from high school. We then had that annoying conversation:

"Hey what's up?"
"Long time, huh?"
"What have you been up to?"
"Just stuff."
"Cool. Tell me what you have been doing in the last seven years."
"Oh just working, going to school, etc."
"..."

I mean seriously. We weren't really friends in high school and we haven't stayed in touch for seven years. There is probably a pretty good reason for that.

This article was originally posted by Time, but their site must be down at the moment.

xvart.

What's the furor over the old and new version of Facebook?

Just that people are upset how often facebook changes it's home page layout. Many are complaining that it looks a lot like the twitter application, another sort of facebook/myspace.

Personally if people complained half as much about real issues as they do about this facebook layout this world would see some much needed change and would take a large leap forward...

These days people don't like change or anything out of their comfort zone... lol.

xvart.

Ah, but jim its always been that way.

What in the world is a twitter application? I understand about people being uncomfortable about change, but from what I read, this seems to be more than just being change.

In my day it was against the law and you could be locked up for twittering !!

What in the world is a twitter application? I understand about people being uncomfortable about change, but from what I read, this seems to be more than just being change.

i dont have a twitter account so I couldnt tell you what it is, but the facebook front page is the only thing that has changed. You still have all of your regular applications and you're still friends with whoever you were before, only difference is the looks of the front page and your page.

For a while there was a big hu-bub about facebook retaining your preferences and information forever. Some people thought this was a violation of rights and policy. If you look at the contract before you actually sign up it's all in there. I've had facebook since 2005 and no one has come to my door asking about my previous information... Simply put if you dont want the world to know something about you.....dont put it on facebook, or online at all for that matter.

For a while there was a big hu-bub about facebook retaining your preferences and information forever. Some people thought this was a violation of rights and policy. If you look at the contract before you actually sign up it's all in there. I've had facebook since 2005 and no one has come to my door asking about my previous information... Simply put if you dont want the world to know something about you.....dont put it on facebook, or online at all for that matter.

In my higher education law class we reviewed the TS of Facebook because nobody does, and our instructor wanted to teach us about contracts and agreements.

I don't use twitter but from what I understand it is just instant updates of statuses only (or something similar. So basically when you logged it and searched for me it would say:

8:00 am - xvart is getting ready for work.
8:15 am - xvart is brushing his teeth, while apparently using his computer
9:00 am - xvart is wishing he was watching batman while sitting in a boring meeting, still connected to his computer
11:00 am - xvart realized he can update his twitter from his phone! how exciting!

11:15 pm - xvart is cursing himself for how much time he wasted updating his twitter account, just to make sure all his friends and family know all the mundane and ridiculous minutia that occurs in his life that they truly couldn't care less about.

xvart.

11:15 pm - xvart is cursing himself for how much time he wasted updating his twitter account, just to make sure all his friends and family know all the mundane and ridiculous minutia that occurs in his life that they truly couldn't care less about.

But we can turn that minutiae off if we want to, right?

I have a hard enough time between my pm's here and on OCPS, then there's photobucket, email.... You want to leave me a message, call me. care to see my latest pics, go see my growlist. Socializing is best done in person (unless you're like me and find chatting to be a channel of expression). i don't know, but all this is making me thirsty.
highschool sucked, glad it is over with, and don't really care to talk to people i don't speak to anymore anyways. I have 2 great friends from highschool with who i still talk to and hang out with. And of the 150 that graduated with me, they are all i need.
I realised that I filtered out those that I didn't really care for when the words 'highschool reunion' came to mind. And most of which, if i were to see again, ...

For many people (such as myself) the major draw in FB is sharing photos. I can post photos there that my friend's would like to see. Otherwise, I'd have to email the dang things. MUCH easy to share them that way. And I enjoy seeing other people's photos.

I've gotten in touch with a few friends that I was glad to hear from. AND I got an offer from a guy in Canada for some Rock Candy Mine fluorite. That would be worth it all! lol Can't beat networking for rocks. :)

Back