What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Facebook... or Myspace for that matter?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
One of my kids and several co-workers and friends have suggested signing up for Facebook and/or Myspace. Why? What are the pros and cons of it?

i signed up for both last week.....why? ive got a class reunion coming up in a year or so and most the ppl i went to high school with are no longer here so i figured what the heck........dont get the ppl that hover over them when the only ppl they are talking with and sharing stuff with are ppl they normally see on a day to day basis anyway.....

Yeah I do not get these things either. There is a reason I am not in touch with 90% of my high school, I did not like them in the first place so why would I want to "re-kindle" relationships that were never there to begin with??

in my case i have talked with most that were friends within the last year at various times when they happened to be here visiting their parents but there are a few who were ppl i hung out with and had fun with but for whatever reason werent close friends that i wouldnt mind talking to...........add that to the fact i have 17 blood uncles and aunts not counting their spouses and likely over 100 first and second cousins whom i rarely get to see.....well i threw a basic profile up on each and ill check them bout once a week but that will prolly be the extent of it.....this forum and the hunting forum i frequent eat up most my internet time and various other forums that i read depending on my whims that day be it meat smoking forums, beer brewing forums, dart frog forums other critter forums....well hell i aint going to sit and worry bout MySpace and Facebook on a daily basis....

My 20th highschool renuion was 2 years ago..*yawn*
I never even considered going..
basically my life began when I started college..
nothing of note happened before then..

I stay in touch with many of my college friends..
we get together at New Paltz (where we went to school) every 5 years or so..
I am probably still in touch with about 10 friends from college..
I am still in touch with zero friends from highschool..

Looking back now, the only thing highschool is good for is getting good grades so you can go to college..apart from that, its meaningless..

and I dont understand Facebook or Myspace either..and I really dont care.
I think if you are over 30, you can safely ignore them! ;)

Scot

I had an account on myspace for a short time and then closed it. I just got tired of the creeps there. It's mostly a scum hangout. I'm under 30 btw. LOL

I do know some people there; family members, people who I used to know locally, etc. None of whom I want to keep in contact with. I mean, they moved and don't keep in contact, so why should I want to? I'm not particularly in the market for new friends. I like the ones I have. So I just don't mess with those sites.

Multiply is an exception. I do have an account there. I originally got it for online music and then had to become more active there to help a friend move an MSN group. For the most part, it seems a bit less sleazy than myspace, but I still don't seek out people there.

I did a myspace because my cousin was in Iraq so that's how I could talk to him. Other then that I don't see a point.

I signed up once for myspace, then some girl I never knew sent me a message to asking to talk (she was one of my brothers friends but, I don't want to talk to people like them so never went there again. I do have a face book because my family uses it to share pictures and stuff. I can say I have a fairly large family but, second cousins aren't really well know to me.

Some of us are on facebook. Just the weirdos that like CP's n' such. It does give alot of personal info so make sure you set it up right.

Yeah I have a facebook, i dont do much with it other than just talk. I would get facebook instead of myspace, its better in many ways.

yeah it does ask for alot of info....i filled out only about 1/4 of it :D

could come in handy and if someone from my past decides to look for me im there.........but i dont feel like searching anyone else out though i did see a old high school/college friend that i havent talked to in awhile and i decided to give him some hell......my sis found me after only being on MySpace a few hours.....i asked her if she was stalking me and she wrote back a message i cant repeat here.....dont think im going to talk to her anymore :D

I'm a 16-year old, I'm terrified of it, and it brings nothing but HARM! or the reason I don't have one is because i'm an outcast...

I have a facebook and I'm addicted to it! :-D

I have a facebook. It's just nice for keeping in touch and/or venting about things publicly. You old people just dont get it :p

I have a Myspace because of my friend. It's not that bad. It seems to me that Facebook is mostly used by older people and Myspace is used by younger people.

I have a Myspace because of my friend. It's not that bad. It seems to me that Facebook is mostly used by older people and Myspace is used by younger people.

LOL! My 19 year old son, who has been encouraging me to register, said exactly the opposite.

Scott - Back when I went to college, New Paltz was repted to be the #1 drug school in the SUNY system. I went to Plattsburgh State. Supposedly, that was the #1 drinking school.. and #2 in drugs. And that's where I actually found InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.

Anyhoo, I registered with Facebook and I was immediately a friend that wanted to be "friended". Hours later, a guy whom I barely knew from grade school, wanted to be friended. little later he invited me to a forum for our old elementary school, junior high, and high school. Not a bad start. Who knows... maybe I'll find some old friends...

Scott - Back when I went to college, New Paltz was repted to be the #1 drug school in the SUNY system. I went to Plattsburgh State. Supposedly, that was the #1 drinking school.. and #2 in drugs. And that's where I actually found InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.

Jim,
Ive never heard that about New Paltz!
although its not surprising..

I was at New Paltz 1988-1992, and yes, it was very much a "hippy school" and probably still is..actually, the town itself is more hippesque than the college..
the whole region definately has retained a catskill woodstock vibe!
I think some of the professors came to town after Woodstock in 1969, then never left! ;)

so from a mildly hippy weedy perspective, I guess you could say its a "drug school"..
but in reality probably no more so than any other college in the country..
actually, when I was at New Paltz I also visited friends at SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Oswego, and UMASS...and New Paltz was definatley the tamest of the bunch! ;)

when I was a kid in the mid 70's, we had this area of old roadways in the woods that had once been a railroad yard..they were called "the black roads" because the roads were all black from coal cinders..as kids around the 5-10 year old age, we were told to beware of dangerous "hippys" who could be hanging out there! I envisioned them as hells-angels biker type people..

then, when I got to college and met REAL hippys my own age, I discovered they were the nicest group of people you could hope to meet! flaky yes, but certaintly not "dangerous" in any way..I was friends with several dead-heads...the bus stopped for me, but I never got on..but I am still a huge Phish fan to this day..

I never partook of any of the recreational activities offered in a hippy town..not my thing..
so I never saw much of it..although I certaintly knew it was around..

Scot

Im not sure if I am "old", but I have a myspace AND a facebook.......I have two different groups of people, one on myspace..one on facbook. I use them to keep in touch with my many friends out of state, but I keep my profile private, so i dont have people that dont know me, contacting me.

They are both good, just different features. I would say I check mine once a week...not on daily.

i had both. i think their ok just be careful don;t get too obessed with people u met in facebook. facebook is also a great way to hang out or keep in touch with ur REAL friend/family ( people that u kno in real life). its also very addictive. i check my facebook once in a while to check out whats my friends been up to, but i don;t like facebook, it has too much junks, its just waste of my time and facebook is boring to me i just don't get y my friends r so addicted to it. wouldn't you rather spend time doing exercising(healthier)/take care of ur CP,/ take a ride to the mall or anywhere u want to do/ or even drive to somewhere close to nature experience new stuff than sitting infront of the monitor playing with facebook?

Here are some pros and cons

Ok as I am a member of both here are the reasons I have both.

Myspace:
I use this for friends and just as a fun project. Myspace has limited search criteria (name, location, etc.). My page is under a made up name so unless I invite you I will be hard to find. Also your page is open to the public.

Facebook:
I use my Facebook as a more profesional site. Facebook has a huge selection of search criteria (school, name, location, date of birth, etc.) This I use my real name so anybody can find me. The more info you fill out the easier it will be for other people to find you. Also until you have added someone as a friend they will not be able to see a lot of info on your page.

Hope this helps.

Back