What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friday the 13th - Stay off the streets today!

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I think we are all familiar with the Friday the 13th superstition many people seem to have. Even the two guys I work with who were raised in Buddhist monasteries in Laos have the suspicion of disasters looming on Friday the 13th. Which I found rather weird for some reason the first time they mentioned it. I guess I assumed it was a western phobia and wouldn't be a worldwide thing.

Here's the Wikipedia file on it which essentially supports my own findings (that it's just another day):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th

The big question is: Are you afraid of disaster today? Are you wearing green (a "lucky" color)? Or are you like me and enjoy walking under ladders at the bookshop and listening to people gossip about bad things happening on the 13th?

Huh, I forgot it was Friday the 13th. I don't really believe in it. And apparently, less accidents happen on it due to people being more careful, says Wikipedia.

I remember being uneasy about them when I was young, but now it's just another day, although I do notice them on the calendar and, this year, think it's pretty cool we have one two months in a row.

I woke up today with this horrible sinus headace, hopefully that is the extent of my bad luck today.

Well, Terminator is back on today. ....That's good enough news for me! :D

Every Friday the 13th, I watch a scary movie and have a frightfully good time. :D

Btw, there's going to be a Friday the 13th next month too. Two Friday the 13ths in a row. :0o:

My birthdays on Septemer 13th<-- so sometimes, its Friday the 13th. I consider myself badluck too, most things i do, is very ironic. Today, i wore all blue. :O blue boxers, blue shirt, jeans, and im not even gonna swim. I think (now its raining currently) imma drown. :O

What movie are you watching tonight Ahmad? I haven't watched a scary movie in ages!

Halt, if you stop thinking of yourself as bad luck (called a "self fullfilling prophecy " in transactional psychology) and just take things a little bit slower speed (take it easy) I can guarantee you'll find those "traps" don't get set for you as much. Here's a short movie that's a bit weird but conveys the lessons of taking it easy or "doing easy" and not letting the universe spring out at you. Remember this includes quite a bit of wry humor as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qNkWml3ztA

im wearing green but thats cause it was the shirt on the very top of the pile, nothing more....i aint terribly superstitious....

what are you guys talking about? 13 is a lucky number, and today is a lucky day!

What movie are you watching tonight Ahmad? I haven't watched a scary movie in ages!

I rented "Christine" by John Carpenter/Stephen King. Not really a scary movie, but it's better than nothing.

my friend and I drove through a blizzard to get home today. Normally it takes 2 hours. It took us 4.5 to get back. We made it all the way back safely, after braving the icy roads. Once he dropped me off at my house, and started backing out of our driveway, he rammed his car into the fire hydrant near the bottom of our lot.
That's Friday the 13th for you :)

There ya go. the luck of the day stopped you from dying in the blizzard!

I had 3 quizzes yesterday. I should have complained to my teachers. (unless just having to take quizzes counts as bad luck)

I had a woman nearly back into my parked car at the grocery store after I posted this topic yesterday. If I hadn't have honked I would have had a bad 13th.

Today was fantastic, got to work and there's no work until Monday at 1:30 AM. So I read two short William Burroughs books in 4 hours (Ghost of a Chance and Port of Saints). I had hoped they'd last all night. Then came home & I'll get paid for the next 8 that I'm not even there. I get to read almost all day tomorrow (4pm - 1:30 am) and get paid for that too! Groovy! :D

It was a bad day. Our receptionist was laid off...everybody is devasted over it. She was my "buddy", next to my office. I'm still stunned.

It's one of those bittersweet things...it's good that it wasn't me (which I was sort of expecting). :cry:

That's a crummy day for sure! :(

That happened to me at my old job at Gopher State Litho. They laid off my buddy old "Bill the Cutter" (a 65 year old paper trimmer). I cried when he left cos he was my only real pal there. Nobody else there liked him too much cos he was so old and crotchey. I always just laughed in his face at all of his old man mumblings and treated him like a grandpa or something, so we got along real good.

The next day they laid me and the rest of the night crew off as well, so I didn't have much chance to miss him. Guess they had to pay for the new six color press they had ordered somehow!

Back