What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you killed a plant?

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
I guess I'm trying to find some consolation here, because I think it might indeed be dead. I had my window open one day to try and cool down my room (which was at a blazing 78 degrees) and failed to realize that my N. Fusca sitting on the windowsill was probably getting blasted with some frigid Ohio winter air. Anyway, the entire thing has turned brown for now. I'm hoping that the roots and underground stuff, survived, and is rallying for a basal or activated node or something.

I'm assuming I'm probably not the first person to kill something on accident. Anybody else done something stupid? Make me feel better :-D

Nope. But if it makes you feel better, i will kill neps the instant i touch them. They just brown up in my conditions unless i buy an already outside accustimized plant, then i have some luck. Thats why I tend to stay away from the wonderful plant nepenthes, from my home country. :( I sent some neps to someone so he can try to nurse them back. LOL, THAT DOESNT COUNT. :O

When I had a D. aliciae when I began, after a month of growing, it started to look a bit crummy, and I thought that it was because it was flowering. It was almost all green and wasn't growing almost at all. So what did I do to try to make it grow? I put PURE SuperThrive right on the plant and let it go into the soil and roots. Maybe two cap fulls? Probably more. Then I went to bed after a few hours after that. I woke up in the morning to find it all shrivled looking, and by the next day, it completely died. :D

Got a new one and I'm not going to mess up this time. xD

What HAVEN'T I killed. Amongst my victims:

dionaea muscipula, U. reniformis, U gibba (yeah, that's shameful!), P. primuliflora (that's pretty bad too), N. talangensis, S. leucophylla, N. mirabilis, P. moranensis.

P. primuliflora (that's pretty bad too)

I swear there's something up with that ping. :I it was doing perfectly fine and then it just went downhill.

haha! you should see what i've killed! lets see, 5 n. ventricosas, a capensis, a binata, 2 primulifloras, countless vft's, a dana's delight, 50 seedling capensis, the list goes on! hehe, hope that you like getting happiness from other's failure, just joking :)

I haven't killed a lot of plants.. yet. So far: N. amp, two VFT dentates, and possibly my N. ventricosa (it's not my fault) that has spider mites

grow enough plants long enough you kill some, some for stupid reasons, others for no reason that you can figure.......ive lost track of how many CP's alone ive killed.....a few stick out in my mind and some im still torqued off about.....

I just recently overwatered my Cephalotus, and the whole thing rotted away. Now I had to spend $40 for a new one.

As far as my carnivore deaths - P. esseriana, U. longiflora, N. mikei, and D. falconeri...I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple We can probably double or triple that for my miniature orchid count. And throw in my first Amorphophallus titanum, which was NOT my fault. It was dormant, and someone thought it was an empty pot, so set it outside in a bitter cold NJ January day. :censor:

I find they grow better under threat of death... "Start blooming - now!" :D

plantkiller.jpg

(BTW paper cut out! ;) )

VFTs and anything that needs a dormancy period is pretty much dead vegetables around me. Neps, certain orchids and others who don't have varying requirements throughout the year are easy for me to take care of.

Well so far i've only killed one CP for the past 2 years + which i is my green VFT which got attacked by black spot fungus....

Ken

Hmmm I Killed a Ventricosa 2 years ago, I hadn't gotten into CP's and I bought it after I was dissapointed not to find VFT's, I throw it on my windowsill and let it dry completley between waterings (again knew nothing about cp's, i just started last year) It finally succumbed and died.

Right now My Binata looks like its going down hill. I also killed on heli minor Which rotted away in the Pure LFS Moss media, My other survided it was in a better mix.

Maybe what people should do is to take the first plant they get and roast it in the oven for a couple hours. Once that's out of the way, the next death won't be so traumatic. I don't get new cars but if I did, I'd be tempted to put a good-sized scratch in them so I'd be able to relax.

I have killed ventricosa, hamata, and capensis. All were because of mites.

It happens to everyone eventually. A few years back, I had a heating element fail in a large tank of lowland Nepenthes (N. truncata, N. ampullaria, N. bicalcarata, among others), when the ambient Tb fell into the low fifties for a few days, and we were away . . .

Put a fork in them; they were well done . . .

iam really bad ive killed
H.elongata
H.pulchella
H.nutans
countless common vfts, sarrs, pings, and droseras
Byblis liniflora
Roridula gorgonias
and so many more. :(:(

I have killed a akai ryu vft, a poor d. intermedia from a place that didnt give it a dormancy, I have also probably lost a N. rafflesiana due to bad experimentation. Other than that my thumb is still green!

i killed an N. platychila and one of two jacqs...in one month lol.

If I had a nickel for every plant I've killed....

Back