What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

butterflies

These are butterflies that were let to roam around at the Montreal Botanical Gadrens.
They isolated one area of the greenhouses and let them flutter and float and feed off of the flowers and fruit dishes. A fun experience!
P2230602.jpg

P2230603.jpg

P2230604.jpg

P2230605.jpg

P2230606.jpg

P2230607.jpg

P2230608.jpg

P2230609.jpg

P2230610.jpg

P2230611.jpg

P2230612.jpg

P2230613.jpg

P2230614.jpg

P2200567.jpg

P2200568.jpg

P2200571.jpg

P2200573.jpg

P2200574.jpg

P2200575.jpg

P2200578.jpg

I love that moth in the 7th picture. It must have been what, 5 to 7 inches across? There were probably quite a few of them, too, judging by all those cacoons...

Strangest part is, Saturniid moths like those metamorph into large moths - that lack mouthparts! Their sole purpose is to mate and lay eggs in the three days they have to live.

Did you see any large green luna moths?

nah, i didn't see them, but it was written that there were some! i have to go back and find them! i'll edit them so they have the names soon...

Aww, shucks...Well, let us know when you do find them! Thanks for sharing!

i remember seeing 2 large green Luna moths, they are absolutely breathtaking, large and green too! nice pics Blokeman, i have to go there very soon!

Nice! Those atlas moths (pics #7 and 16) get huge, the biggest in the world except for cecropia, and god, they have a ton of cocoons there! Usually seeing two in the same place is a rare experience. #14 and #15 are owl butterflies, the other side of the wings is a beautiful blue, but it's kinda hard to get that in a photo. I once had #10 lay an egg on me in a butterfly conservatory near where I live. A guy who worked there plucked it off and put it with the rest of them, I wonder if it survived. Oh, and it looks like you captured one laying an egg in the second to last picture. That botanic garden just might be having some caterpillar issues soon with all those butterflies flying around...
-- extremely nerdy insect geek in the deathgrip of winter.

well it's a pleasure to see you've enjoyed these pics,
more to come!

WOW! They're so beautiful! Must've been a nice experience.

Great photos. I saw something like that at the Bronx Zoo several years ago and thought it was the most fascinating thing there.

Mmmm... grapefruit!

Looks a lot like a butterfly exhibit I saw in Seattle, WA.

Excellent photos!

Back