What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What carnivorous plants have you seen in their natural habitat?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
So, what carnivorous plants have you seen in the wild?

For me, I have a field of Drosera Capillaris and Utricularia Subulata growing right behind my house. I wish that there were some Pinguicula in there, but I haven't seen any.

none until i go back to indonasia this summer X)

Well, I haven't seen any, but being in Central-Florida, I know there are, just need to go out to the wild and such. I had a friend who said he saw S. minor while hunting.

I've seen (and knew I was seeing) lots of S. purpurea, D. rotundifolia and D. filiformis. I wonder if I saw any of the tall S. species when I lived in MS but, if I did, it was at a distance and I didn't know it at the time.

Fun thread!

S. rubra ssp. rubra
S. rubra ssp. jonesii
S. purpurea ssp. venosa
S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana
S. flava var. flava

D. brevifolia
D. rotundifolia
D. intermedia

Dionea muscipula

a few bladderworts

Darlingtonia californica
Pinguicula macroceras
Drosera rotundifolia
Utricularia macrorhiza

Utricularia alpina is the only one I've seen in situ.

Nothing special, all I've seen is u. gibba.

I thought I found some kind of utric in the lake right by our house, but it was probably just some random lake plant.

Drosera Rotundifolia, various sarracenia when i was younger, U. Minor, and some other local utrics. also seen D. Anglica

None. Though for a mere $5000 I can tag along with the Orchids Ltd guy to Borneo on one of his "Borneo Adventure" trips.

I'd like to go someday but not with a group of yuppies afraid to camp on the mountain like he's told me about who were on some of the other trips.

I've seen pings on Big Pine Key, FL.

pumilaavatar.gif

And yellow utricularia in Ocala, FL.

ocala07.jpg

I know where some sundews are close by where I live,but haven't been able to get close enough to I'd them.

none:(:(:( but probocideae(aka devils claw) do grow behind my house.

I have seen only darlingtonia californica in Oregon and in Slovakia d. intermedia, pinguicula alpina and drosera rotundifolia....

haha, i've spent 4-6 hours walking in bogs at a friends country house, but all i saw was a profusion of sphagnum, no cp's! I do know i can find some s. purpurea ssp purpurea, d. rotundifolia, utrics, and more... Maybe i'll have better luck next time.

I have been to four bogs here in central and western NY that contain Sarracenia purpurea and D. intermedia and D. rotundifolia.

here are some pics from one of the bogs:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page3.html

I know of a location for Pinguicula vulgaris in central NY, but I havent tried to visit it yet..
I probably never will either, because its pretty dangerous to hike to..steep cliffs..

Scot

I went to visit the Watson Pinelands Preserve and nearby areas that had S. alata, D. capillaris, D. brevifolia, U. gibba, S. areolata and P. primula.

~billy

Back