What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milling Live Sphagnum

A few people have suggested Milling some Live Sphagnum for various projects (Darlingtonia, root cuttings, several types of Drosera, etc). I had a question about this however. I do not have that much Live Spagnum, barely a cup full, but I have lots of sprouts springing up.

How does one mill Spagnum? Do you just chop it like you'd chop stuff for stew? Do you use a blender?

How does Spagnum grow? If I chop up a strand of growing, healthy Spagnum, will the pieces grow into new strands, or just die? I understand there's spores involved somehow?

I use a small food processor and add it from the top in small amounts. Does a nice job of cutting into very fine matter.

If I take one of my healthy neon green strands and chop it into two pieces, will both pieces grow into new strands?

yes, then you can cut those two into two, and those four into two, and you can just keep cutting and cutting and cutting till you have a bunch! lol

Back