What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can rusty water kill your plant?

Indigo

Learning How To Multiply
Hi peepos

well i was rearranging my terrarium and i spot some rust from the little rack which i put inside the terraium (when i bought it it said stainless) (which is not suppose to have rust !! i want my money back!!) and below the rack theres RO water, my terrarium is 3 inch of water with plants growing on the 6inch rack.and the light is about 6 inch away from the plants, with a fogger in the water and 2 mosquitoes gubbies lol( those 2 guppies living happily without ever feeding it once for the pass 4 months or so. and ya, so some rust from the rack must have infected the water and i water my plant with that water =[ will the rust eventually killing the plant?

stainless steel means it stains(rusts) less easily that high carbon steel doesnt mean its rust proof......i have stainless guns and knives that develop rust spots if not taken care of right, they just dont rust as easy as the chrome/moly steel of the others......

the lil bit of rusty water wont hurt your plants but i would find a replacement and either use it temporarily while you reseal that one or just dont use that one...........

It's probably good for Mexican butterworts.

If the water is oxygenated, there will be essentially no iron in solution because oxidized iron is pretty insoluble. Dissolved organic matter (tannins, etc) can carry some iron, but that happens in the real world too. So don't worry; if the guppies aren't bothered, I doubt the plants will be.

cool glad to kno. but still i need to get a plastic rack to hold my plant .. fear it might turn out ugly

Back