What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP's - lure more than bugs!

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
I was watering my neps in my growrack tonight. When I got to the bottom shelf, my 12 week old Shih Tzu, Moose, came over to check out what was going on. He then stepped partway inside and decided to see what Lady Pauline was all about. Next thing I know he was licking it up and down like mad. He really liked the underside of the lid, and he even learned he could tip it somewhat and lick the liquid inside (no bugs in it!). It was hilarious watching him trying to shove his pudgy nose down inside that pitcher! He started getting a little to eager so I pushed him aside cuz I though he was going to chew it. No luck, he jumped right back to it and went to town sampling the sweet buffet he had found. I realized it would make for a good photo op.

Eventually I had to hold him back while I closed the front plastic on the growrack. Well, he wouldn't have any of that and he then leaped enthusiastically against the plastic, which opened the bottom up, and he then proceeded to jump inside and tackle my glabrata! Yup - he tipped it over and spilled the plant completely over! But he was oblivious as he started licking those little pitchers all the while wagging his tail.

So, I had to shut him in another room while I cleaned up the mess and replanted it. When I let him out, sure enough he ran straight over to the bottom shelf again but this time I was expecting it! Looks like we have another cp fan:

puppy4.jpg

puppy3.jpg

puppy1.jpg

puppy2.jpg

Haha that's cute. It's funny you named your Shih Tzu Moose, lol. Little dog, big name ;)

My cats are the same way, well, one is, Flash - the tuxedo cat. He will actively investigate anything new regardless of how you try to restrain him. And if whatever he's investigating isn't sturdy or heavy duty it'll be broken, knocked over and covered in teeth marks. "Are you happy with yourself?!" is something I yell after him a lot after he's destroyed something and is running off to hide until the dust settles. Even a huge cactus with 3" thorns, he'll just sit there and chew on the thorns. And here I was afraid he'd hurt himself on them...
I didn't have these little cats when I had my old Nep collection but those pitchers would have been far too tempting for him with their long tendrils and the wobbly pitchers on the end when you swat them...

lol! nice! cute dog. I wonder what is the exact composition of that nectar. Can mammals actually get addicted to it? :p

Hmmm cute! I just can't get over the darkness of that lady pauline, its beautiful! I'm so glad I ordered one from BE

Aaaw, that's absolutely adorable! Great looking N. x 'Lady Pauline', though! And sphagnum.

Cute Ewok!

Haha - yeah he definitely has the Ewok look to him. He may be small, but he thinks he's a big tough guy. Today he was snooping around the plants again, but he didn't try to break in at least. BUT - he has taken an interest in my minibogs outside and I had to pull him back from one of my vft's. Maybe he has a vegetarian streak in him..?:-))

I couldn't seem to post a picture of my dog "mousse", anyways he is a 123 pound chocolate labrador. But I agree that dogs have an interest in CP's...he broke off my heliamphora nectar spoons after smelling them...nice little "moose" though

My cat like to drink from the trays, if they are low to the ground. Why she prefers slimy water to the fresh water in her dish is beyond me.

50% of the time cats do everything you expect them not to do and then the other half they dont do anything as to keep you on your feet. Does anyone know or has heard of a Cat Whisperer? or a Cat behaviorist? They are all different and evil in thier own ways but that is why we love them.

Did you name him "Moose" because he's the color of chocolate mousse? ;)

Hehe, no, because he thinks he is a lot bigger than he really is. He is quite the little tough guy. Plus, I love the irony. :jester:

Edit: Okay, I brought it up with the Mrs., and she likes Mousse better, so that's what it is. Thanks for the suggestion, it never occurred to us!

Back