What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The StarChild Skull

• Thread starter losfreddy
  • Start date
i can do quite a bit of tool making if ive got access to scrap iron or steel.......if ive got to smelt my own steel im screwed though......antibiotics i cant do but have a half way working knowledge of basic medicinal plants.....asprin i can do......also pretty hard for me to starve even here in spring summer or fall......lots of edibles that dont taste half bad that most wont touch......or atleast wont think to.....

cant make gasoline or diesel though and that can put a cramp on things...........but i can make alcohol so i wont have to care :D

I made leatherworking tools out of nails when I was a kid, but that depended on a supply of nails and on the tools I used to make them. With my geology background and an interest in early industrial processes, I think there's an outside chance that I could mimic CT's early charcoal iron industry, although I'd never be able to match the quality of its product. Of course I'd starve first because all the time spent trying to produce my first batch of iron would be time I didn't spend finding or producing food.

im familiar with the process required for simple smelting but this part of Montana is relatively free of iron in smelting quantities.....it is present in the ground water as iron oxide but you would be hard pressed to get enough of it to make any tools, hence what i would able to do is dictated by what scrap iron i could find(and how much high quality charcoal i could produce).....rather than trying to extract raw iron oxide from the ground i would be better served looking for the many hundreds(thousands?) of scrap piles that litter the country side, every farm that survied atleast through the 50's had one......

I was not attacking DNA testing itself. I think the process itself is completely valid, I was saying their application of and interpretations of the testing was BS. I am sorry if you thought I was attacking DNA testing as a process, that was not my intent.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, been in a few "fights" on other forums over DNA and was starting to feel like I was getting it everywhere. Reading back over your original post I see my mistake. Sorry.

As an archaeologists I am not aware of a single instance where DNA testing was reliably used to sequence ancient human DNA. They have done PCR on several occasions and every time the results either come back as no DNA present or there questionable techniques used and contamination is a real possibility.

Neandertals have been sequenced partially (60% IIRC) using next-gen techniques. And they have gotten the Neandertal mitochondria genome partially sequenced as well.

Neandertals have been sequenced partially (60% IIRC) using next-gen techniques. And they have gotten the Neandertal mitochondria genome partially sequenced as well.

I remember reading something about that too. As far as I am aware no good applications of that technology have been used on anatomically modern humans, especially not on skeletons from the last 2,000 years or so.

I seem to recall hearing about some Inca or Egyptian or something that it was done on too... Can not recall any details though... Maybe I should dive into PubMed and see what floats up...

Back