What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rock ID request....

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date

joossa

Aklys
Does anyone know what these are? Are they all the same?

I've been finding them in my back yard lately. They have a very smooth texture.

Thanks!

Just quartz. Some quartz can have cryptocrystaline or microcrystaline structure and that's what it seems like to me.

I would agree with Brokken that it is Quartz. It looks like it is river rock or has been tumbled since all the edges are smooth. Most likly it came from a gravel yard. Does your back yard have or once have gravel in it? Quartz is VERY common in California and can be found just about anywhere.

rose quartz if they're pink.

Thanks for the ID.

Yes, my yard does have sections with gravel in it. It also has large weathered river gravel in it too...not naturally, of course (I am not aware of any ancient fluvial system that ran through the area my house is standing on :)). In addition, my yard has a walkway with the typical white jagged quartz rock used a bedding.

I've always thought of quartz as having the larger jagged (lattice) look to it. I guess that explains why I'm staying away from geology and geomorphology in my geography degree. ;)

Thanks!

I probably had the worst grade in my mineralogy class when I got my geological engineering degree, but geomorphology is a completely different thing. My MS is in geography and, although I certainly see no need for mineralogy in a geography degree, I have a hard time picturing one without geomorphology. Unless you're graduating this semester, try to fit a class in.

although I certainly see no need for mineralogy in a geography degree, I have a hard time picturing one without geomorphology.

Hey Bruce. You hit the nail right on the head! I've already taken general geomorphology and a field studies course on beach and fluvial geomorphology. I couldn't stand the mineralogy and rock ID aspects of these classes, which is what I was trying to say before.

I loved fluvial geomorphology and planned to head that direction. But I got distracted by environmental chemistry and now, 25 years later, my career has finally come around to where I get to think about rivers now and then.

How far are you in the degree? You must be near the end if you've taken those classes. When people learn your major, do they ask if you had to memorize all the countries and their capitals?

I loved fluvial geomorphology and planned to head that direction. But I got distracted by environmental chemistry and now, 25 years later, my career has finally come around to where I get to think about rivers now and then.

How far are you in the degree? You must be near the end if you've taken those classes. When people learn your major, do they ask if you had to memorize all the countries and their capitals?

I have a year or so to go. This spring will conclude my fourth year in college straight out of high school. The bad part is that several classes that I enroll in (like geographical ecosystems) are later canceled due to low enrollment. :( I still have to take my advanced GIS course along with remote sensing (once I finish my aerial imaging interpretation course this semester) and some other environmental geography courses. My senior project will be the biggie next year.

On top of that I added a Bio minor a bit late, so I still have one or two courses left to go for that. It's not really a big deal as I REALLY enjoy being a student.

Oh and yeah, I get the "memorizing the capitals" all the time.:puke:

Back