What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New camera!

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date

Ant

Your one and only pest!
My mom got me a 12 mp Canon EOS digital SXI 450D! (I really have no idea what EOS, SXI, or 450D means. :blush:) I also got an extra battery, a 4gb memory card, and bag for it, and 1 macro lens! :boogie: I can't wait to use it! To bad the batteries didn't come precharged!

Awesome! Congrats!

Can't wait to see your shots.

Dayum. You've got some generous folks. Macro lenses in the DSLR world are not cheap, let alone the 12 megapixel cameras. Is this your first DSLR camera?

What it means is your camera will be really nice - that's all you need to know at the moment! lol!

Crack open that users manual! :D

Sometimes there are tutorial packages for fancier digital cameras that are a set with a book and CD Rom. I got one off ebay for my Nikon Coolpix 5700 but never made myself work through it like I should have. Now I can't find the tutorial set so I only know what a few of the, myriad buttons, lenses, etc actually do! I know enough to get by but I'm not getting the most out of it for sure.

Getting used to a new camera takes time. Honestly for myself I think using the camera and fiddling around with it will be the best way to familiarize yourself with your camera. You can spend months procrastinating reading that manual... If you know what the basic features are such as how to change your camera to macro or how to change aperatures then you will be fine. Go through the cameras menu lists and aquaint yourself with all the features and if you dont know what they are some cameras have an information option or you can just look it up online. Many manufacturers also provide an e-manual on thier site.

Dayum. You've got some generous folks. Macro lenses in the DSLR world are not cheap, let alone the 12 megapixel cameras. Is this your first DSLR camera?

Yes, it is my first camera DSLR. My mom doesn't know much about technology and ends up getting better version and such. Also this is considered half my present and half paying me back after she took 450 bucks from me. (saved up over winter) I asked for a 600 dollar camera, meaning she would be spending 250 dollars, witch isn't an extraordinary present compared to one of my Christmas presents. (an 81 cm lcd tv for my room) Lol, I feel rich saying that but, my family is only middle class.

The macro lens is a tamron AF70-300mm F/45-5.6 (DI, Its in a different color so I don't know it I should add it) LD MACRO 1:2. lol, I had to step like ten feet away to get a full sized pic of a plant. :jester:

Here is my first attempt with my camera. I can't wait to find some ants and other things!
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff291/antcatcher/002.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff291/antcatcher/001-1.jpg
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff291/antcatcher/003-1.jpg

Why does one person in almost every other thread make one of those jokes... That is something I don't want to think about, ever!

Ant, consider yourself blessed to have received such a camera.

However, many people who get big fancy DSLRs without any formal camera knowledge end up frustrated over them, or don't ever use them to their full ability. I strongly suggest you take a photography class at your earliest convenience. Just a basic black and white film class is enough to get the ball rolling.

You should also research your lenses to understand their strengths and limitations. From what I'm reading, your lens produces a lot of chromatic aberration at the 300mm setting, so you may not want to use it there.

Yeah, I am signing up for my digital photography class at school next year. I won't be frustrated. It is actually very easy to use. Also I know I am blessed.

Yeah, I am signing up for my digital photography class at school next year. I won't be frustrated. It is actually very easy to use. Also I know I am blessed.

I'm sure you've noticed though how there are a TON of functions. With good training, you'll be able to use those functions and produce much better results than what the camera's auto or program modes can give you.

I hope to see some of your stuff popping up soon!

The best thing about digital camera is that it won't break the bank to shoot enough photos to get the hang of it.

I've pretty much abandoned photography (or did it abandon me?) but if I were to be drawn back into it, I think I'd re-read Ansel Adams' book The Negative. That's the middle book of his series and has the best discussions of lighting and exposure I ever saw. Basically, it's the philosophy and technology of capturing an image, all wrapped into one.

A little of what he wrote can be ignored, because his axe was a big view camera and that gave him options not available to most of us. But the book lays out the zone system and thoughts that go into composition. A modern camera's bells & whistles are just tools to help achieve correct exposure & focus and that book helps you understand what you're trying to do with whatever tools are at your disposal.

Bruce........having talked with the Journalism School photography professors at the University of Montana Missoula they say that the better photographers coming out of their school are those that spent alot of time away from the digital camera and shooting film before going back to mainly using digital.......i guess knowing your way around a darkroom is a huge help even in digital photography......gives yah a better grasp on the finer stuff your trying to do with your camera....

as you said, someone, especially a kid, can quickly go broke shooting film but i would also highly recommend reading up on books like the one you suggest......

Shooting B&W is important too because it eliminates the distraction of pretty colors and encourages a photographer to learn about texture, contrast, etc. I still like to turn off the color on a digital photo to see what I really did, even though I'm reduced to an occasional snapshot now.

Back