What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ebayer to avoid

Ebay xTM etc etc

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/borneancanableo6

I asked told him to tell Dom I said Hi for me. I also asked him why his plants were taken off recently etc etc. here was his reply

"Yes I know him. We are good friends. What is your name? I will tell him. well i set the reserve at 100 so thats the least amount it can be sold for. The reason my items were taken off and relisted is because i had problems with ebay and paypal address i moved and they didnt match so the blocked account. but i have it right now. thanks"

I have only involved myself because I bid on Nepenthes constantly online and I have been flooded by loss prevention warnings about his items etc etc. I am sad to know that I could perhaps be buying tainted ( stolen and missplaced) plants.

Good Luck all and Keep your eyes peeled.

Phil you are so much more eloquent than I am LOL.

There's my rant. You see Frankie I do share my best and rarest plants. Ask anyone who has been on the receiving end. It's called good insurance. Do I ask for anything in return? Pretty much never, unless the product is being sold. In fact...people feel guilty most of the time because I want NOTHING in return. Yup, that's me. I GIVE more away than I keep for myself. Just because you or your circle of friends have never been the recipients of this generosity doesn't mean it has never been done or isn't currently happening.

I will attest to that!! I only "met" Phil about 2 years ago over a trade offer I made to him. Turns out I misread his posting and offered him something he already had :-)) But it was all good and we worked out a little trade and ever since then this great, kind man has been inundating me with material.

Like I mentioned previously, It has taken me over 30 years to get to where I am at with my collection. I was the one who put the work into it. I was the one who toiled over the maintenance of it and....footed the expense for everything. But I do NOT respond to demands to share my plants with people who haven't had like experiences or have a healthy respect for all the work I've put into it.

These kinds of comments come off as very greedy. "Gimmie that plant you have. I want it too. Why can't I have it too? If you have it EVERYONE should have it. If you have a really rare nep you need to post pictures of it so everyone can see WHAT YOU'RE GROWING!" Why? Why can't we just accept that only a handfull of folks are growing certain species/hybrids/clones and just move on? You can't have everything. For some of us well-seasoned growers it has taken us many, many years to obtain some of the specimens we have in our collections

Personally I don't like the idea of just handing something over right away. Why should we have to toil over years and years of hard work and searching to just make it easy for everyone else. Shouldn't we, the growers, reserve the right to distribute our rarest specimens to WHOM we feel is qualified or worthy?

I just had a great example of this. The recent cultivars Phil and I put out in CPN drummed up a bit of interest. I was contacted by someone interested in acquiring one of them. When I gave the man the price he said: "That is a lot of money. But I recognize the time an effort that goes into creating such unique and wonderful plants so it is well worth it."

I can not tell you how much my respect for that man went up with that one statement. And I showed him my appreciation by hooking him up with a slew of other stuff. The right mindset will take you far in this hobby.

Back