What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had a Visitor Tonight

DrWurm

Californian in DC
This White-Lined Sphinx Moth flew into our kitchen tonight and promptly landed on my head. It was rather calm and didn't mind me taking a few shots of it and even putting it in a dangerous position or two.

3439968883_75d09b2f75.jpg

3440783050_e98f9c25fd.jpg

3440783678_38f560acc3.jpg

Check out the pink spots when it flutters its wings!
3440784096_df17ac787f.jpg

3440784540_7ba09e9c56.jpg

In my little brother's hands
3440785018_0464846ee2.jpg

In the end, I released it. It reminded me much more of a hamster or bunny rabbit than an insect. I could never have fed that to my plants!

Darn, it was so close to falling in.

Ahhhhh, Hyles lineata, if I remember correctly. I collected some larvae in SoCal a couple years back, I had one of the moths framed, but the freakin' dermestids got to it.
Anyways, beautiful moth.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is quite a beauty. I wanted to keep it and give it a name, but I don't exactly have a moth keeping area :'(

They're rather difficult to feed anyways, since they have like a three foot (not really) proboscis that they use while hovering. You'd have to keep it still and manually unfurl it into a dish of water/honey or sugar solution.
Quite a pain in the butt.

Very good photography. You captured its essence very well! :)

Nice shots!

The ones down here are quite loud. Last summer, I thought that a small bird had landed in the grass while I was watering. It turned out to be one of these guys.

these are my favorite mantids feed! They are full of delicious nutirients, and the battle are epic. :) And they ar epretty! a triple threat if ever ive heard one. :D

I've seen those once in a great while. They just get feed to one of my Sarracenia if I catch them. The adults are pretty but the larvae (caterpillars) tend to chew up leaves, possibly Sarracenia.

Gorgeous moth. Very elegant.

I've found moths to be very cooperative for photographing. I have some good moth photos.

Beautiful moth and very nice photos :)

Back