What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Central CP Meeting! Spring 2009

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Howdy everyone!

Last year I hosted a CP meeting for those of use who are in the central area, we had a great turn out and loads of fun! While we were talking about having a society, but once we all got together we came to the conclusion that an informal trading / gathering session would be the best route. I suggested a spring / fall BBQ and people seemed pretty interested in the idea.

(link to past thread event: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=922853)

It was amazing how far people were willing to travel, Iowa, southern Illinois, Indiana and even Ohio! Totally surprised me! (was there someone from wisconsin there too??)

I'll be happy to kick this off again, food and beverages will be provided. I'll try to get a grill attendant that is not a vegetarian this time so I don't have to keep bouncing back and forth. :crap:

My vault will be of course open for a tours, and I'll have rooted Nepenthes basals for trade / give aways (depending how many come, don't hold me to that!). I could even do a demo of how I root my basals if there's interest.

Saturday May 30th will be my next open house / BBQ event.

Address is:

151 N 4th Street
DeKalb, IL 60115

For those long distance travelers, think of carpooling as an option! Discuss, trade pm's / emails here. Plenty of time to set something up!

If you are interested in coming out please post your intention here or email me so that I can start to gather an estimate of how many people might come out.

Partners / family members / spouses / friends / etc are all welcome!

I'll post more information here as we get closer to the date. This posting will be the most up to date information about this event.

Thanks!
Nathan

Thanks, once again, for putting this together, Nathan.
I like the date you picked a lot :)
It is early enough that I think I might actually be able to make the trip again!
I think my summer research starts really early June, so end of May should work nicely.

Sound good to me off hand. I'll drive for anyone that is around the Kankakee Area wanting to go.

Oh, a little sooner than I expected.
If I can get the Friday before off for driving I'll be there.
Wife will probably come along too.
Anybody else from down around my way?
(Southern Illinois)

Edit a couple days later...
Yep, Wife says she would like to come.
Looks like we will be there.

I'd like to go, but I don't think I'd fit in, being 14.. Lol.

Actually, it sounded like there were a few young folks around your age that were interested last time but they thought there would be "issues" with that. Seriously, these are some of the most genuine people you will meet in your life! There's nothing wrong with having your parents drive you and "hang out", too. There could be a seperate meeting at Nathan's house for the parents of young cp addicts, where they can discuss methods of how to cope with their children's addictions to cps.
Last year my friend and i both went--- we had just graduated high school. Everyone was very friendly and easy to talk with. We had a great time. You should definitely talk to your parents and consider the possibility of making the trip!

Yeah, it would be pretty fun to go. But it's quite a long drive from here to there (gas prices)... I would definately ask if I could go, if we could afford it.

tell them it's worth every penny, lol.
If I'm able to go, I should (hopefully) be able to bring some interesting dews/ tons of seed along!
It would be great to have a larger swap/sale this year.

In!

Hi,

I'm glad we are up for another gathering! :woot: :banana2: :boogie: :banana2: :woot:

It has been a rough year on me and my plants, but I will certainly try to plan to attend, and hope to get my wife to come along again too!
It was good fun for all last time, and I am sure it will be this time too. :jester:

I also would not hesitate to come even if you are young. This "hobby" has no age bounds,
and is based on our common interest in these wonderful and amazing plants.
Besides, I am told I only act 7 years old anyway!

Joking aside, I can attest that these are all great and friendly people!

I hope to attend!

Paul

I might actually be able to make it this year. w00t

The time is drawing near!:banana2::boogie:

I don't have anything to bring to trade, but Wife and I are really looking forward to this.
I hope there are a few dew seeds left by then.

I'll be posting an update here soon on things available for trade, plus directions, etc.

Hope everyone can make it!

If anyone would like any further details, or has questions feel free to let me know!

-Nathan

I will be able to go for sure.
I don't know if you already contacted him, but it sounds like Mark Wilson is interested. He is going to update me with his plans in a few days.

Hi all,
Not quite sure yet but my Wife may want to go also.I have a bunch of small P.gypsicola plantlets I'd like to trade with some of you.If anyone is interested let me know

The wife and I are planning on attending, I've got a bit to trade/sell as well.

Mark Wilson sounds like he'll be able to attend. i'm not sure if his wife will be able to attend or not.

Not Long Now!

Well,
It's almost here!

My wife and I are still on, and looking forward to seeing everyone again, as well as meeting new CP'ers and some "understanding" spouses.

Nathan...
If there is anything you need us to bring, do let us know.

So far all I may have to trade with is a wee bit of Aquatic Bladderwort.
Bladderwort1A.jpg

I don't have much, but if you haven't seen it before, it is pretty cool.

Well, looking forward to it again! :boogie:

I forget now... what time are we starting??? I guess my mind is going!
Perhaps I better read things over again! :blush:

Paul

*tear*
Wish i could make it, summer classes started and no car :( Any way I can join via webcam? :-D
Hopefully I can make it out next year or even better yet, maybe we should set up another get together and make it a bi-yearly thing? I think I could accommodate some ppl :) Have fun everyone!

Hey everyone! Just giving a little update, this Saturday I'll be flying out to CA and visiting two CP nurseries. I hope to be doing a bulk order with at least one of them and shipping it back home just in time for the BBQ. With that order I'll be doing sarras, vft's and maybe some Nepenthes from EP.

I'll also be willing to trade rooted basals from my nepenthes, and will be willing to fresh cut some basals from my collection as well.

Event starts at Noon, and lasts till you get tired talking about CP's. 8)

Again, BBQ burgers, soda, and maybe some other veggies will be provided.

If you need directions, or my phone number in case you get lost just private message me.

See everyone soon!
-Nathan

Hey everyone, I didn't see this info posted again, but will the event begin at noon again?
I'm sure it's right in front of my face and i just can't see it :)

Back