What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some bizarre plants

Euphorbia platyclada
A lovely pink stick - in "growth"! What looks like algae or moss patches on it are apparently the photosynthetic parts.
euphorbiaplatyclada.jpg

Tylecodon bucholtziana
Another stick! It bloomed just before I got it, I had the pleasure of picking off the dried flowers. It puts out small bright green tubular/round leaves on new growth.
tylecodonbucholtziana.jpg

Pepromia graveolens

Who would think it's a succulent I'm used to seeing Pepromias in a humid terrarium. The green leaf tops are somewhat transparent so you can see into them like a windowed Haworthia.
pepromiagraveolens.jpg

Crassula pyramidalis
this is two plants leaning together. The tightly stacked leaves give it a rather insectoid looking appearance I think with the segments.
crassulapyramidalis.jpg

Now for some real pretties (actually they look awful as they're shriveling down for summer dormancy):
Conophytum minimum
Outter sheaths on their way to drying out for the long hot summer. This one is great when inflated it looks like it's covered in pictogylphs, I can't wait to see if the same glyphs come up next year.
conophytumminutumdrying.jpg
conophytumminutum.jpg

Conophytum ficiforme "kuboos"
Drying up and "looking good" lol! You can see next years green body poking out down there at the base. This will inflate over a couple nights from the size of a pea to the size of my thumb when I first water it again in August. Yes, late August! lol!
conophytumficiformekuboosdrying.jpg

Hope you enjoyed seeing some more of my weird stuff! :D

Those are some pretty nifty plants.

Very cool man, that's some weird plants to be sure. that Crassula pyramidalis is especially cool looking to me for some reason, it has a stupid "proto" look to it

Succulents are one of-- if not, the most--weirdest group of plants I'v seen.

Very cool. I had no idea any of these existed. If I had the room, I'd venture into those types of plants.

That Conophytum looks like you sneezed in the pot. <LOL> Beautiful plants, really.

Yay for E. platyclada! I was going to send you one but looks like you've got me beat. It's one of my favorites.
~Joe

Achoo!
sniiiiff Thanks! :D
Here it is in it's live but abused (not by me) state:
conophytumficiformekuboos.jpg

The crack you see near the base is where the sheath pulled away from the developing plant in the top picture. I'm hoping as it dries completely the husk will cover the new body if not I'll just put it in shade til autumn and make sure it doesn't get too hot.

One of the best things about these little weirdos is they seem to do fine in 2.5" pots so you can load a lot of them onto a shelf. I will be able to fit 128x 2.5" pots (or 64x 4" pots) on each 2ft x 4ft shelf of my new plant stand with some room left over around the edges! Some do grow bigger but they don't seem to mind being diced up into a number of new plants and repotted if you want to keep them small or spread the wealth.

Joe, does E. platyclada bloom with real flowers or are the thin tentacle-like branches the bloom? I broke off a few sections by accident when I was repotting it from the pure peat the nursery uses to the all mineral mix I use. Do the sections root easily? I know nothing about this plant so if you have any tips for me I'm all ears (eyes).

The sections root easily - just let them scar first. The flowers are small, smaller than a pencil eraser. The petals are small and fleshy, light yellow-green, with a rounded edge. The stigma is relatively large and the same color as the petals. They seem to emerge from the nodes along the sides of the vegetative growth, but less often from the very tips. When you first see them, you might think something is wrong with the plant - I thought they were some weird ladybug-type things. But on closer inspection, they're obviously flowers. You can see them in this picture: http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/palmbob_1095486693_420.jpg
~Joe

Thanks Joe!

Unfortunately I'm not authorized to view that picture! ;)

Back