What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Swamp Purpureas

r_miller

Newbie CP grower
Now that the weather has been getting really nice out here Rhode Island, I've been walking through the Great Swamp in Kingston in search of the Sarracenia purpureas that are said to live there.

I was wondering if anyone knew any directions to the trail that leads to the purpureas.

Thanks, and sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Ryan

Thanks to some description from Nepfreak, and a few of his pictures, I finally found the Sarracenia purpurea growing in the Great Swamp in Kingston, Rhode Island.

Here is one of the first ones that I saw out in the swamp.
GreatSwampPics006.jpg

Here's another good picture of a pitcher I got.
GreatSwampPics011.jpg

It was hard to take good pictures since my feet were constantly sinking into the mud.
GreatSwampPics008.jpg

Here is the field where I saw the S. purpureas.
GreatSwampPics012.jpg

I had more pictures, but as I just said, it was hard focusing a camera and making sure I didn't loose my shoes in the process.

I was also very surprised, the most I saw on any of them was a flower bud just peeking through the surface, and new growth only starting to appear. I guess this means my Death Cube purpurea isn't lost after all.

I have to thank Nepfreak a lot for the descriptions that he gave of the area and how they got there, as I would've never thought to look in the area that I did for the pitcher plants. One thing he didn't mention though, was the fact that the field was partially flooded.

I guess this now makes me a true carnivorous plant geek, now that I've waded out into the swamps, possibly getting Lyme Disease for a second time to see carnivorous plants in the wild.

Ryan

Last edited:
Congratulations on your success at seeing Sarrs and at wetting the feet. The two often go together. Is it public or private land and do you know if it's managed for wetland species?

It's a Wildlife Management Area, so I assume it's public land. I'm not too sure if it's managed specifically for wetland species, but a good percentage of the area is a wetland, so it might be.

Ryan

The lack of shrubby growth makes it look like it does get burned periodically. That should maintain it as good CP habitat for quite a while, assuming the area isn't dewatered to allow people to water bigger lawns.

lol, sorry! It wasn't quiiite that bad when I went in the middle of August! I'm glad you finally found them!

Back