What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

swine flu - too close to home

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
I just got this in my e-mail from the local news station.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Swine flu case confirmed at Notre Dame
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello This is a breaking news alert from Fox 28

SOUTH BEND (FOX 28 - WSJV) - A Notre Dame student has the first confirmed
case of the swine flu in Indiana. The Indiana Health Department says the
case was found in St. Joseph County.

The Indiana health commissioner said Tuesday that the Notre Dame student is
"doing well."

State health Commissioner Judy Monroe said the person was a young adult
from northern Indiana. This is the first confirmed swine flu case in the
state of Indiana.

She said the case had been confirmed in testing by the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention.

The agency said Sunday that it had sent two flu specimens for tests by the
CDC. The agency said the flu specimens did not match other strains that
Indiana has seen this year.

its okay I feel your distress...

Dear KU Students:

On Sunday, the U.S. Government declared a public health emergency due to a swine flu outbreak in Mexico. Among the cases reported in the U.S., two were in Kansas: a married couple in Dickinson County, which is about 115 miles west of Lawrence.

115 miles isnt exactly... far.... ya know?

There are already 4 confirmed cases here in canada aswell.

While I don't feel it's worth a panic, it's still in the back of my mind. You know, just wondering what it may do here.

I am in San Antonio, Texas and we have numerous cases here. In fact, they shut down a school district here and told organized meetings (i.e. church) that it is better to stay home.

I was wondering when someone would start a thread about the swine/bird/human flu. :x That sucks, but it'll probably get around the U.S. pretty quickly. :/ I heard parks in Orlando are starting to take measures, as well. Heck, the thing is already in France. That's crazy, it only got to the U.S. last Saturday. o_O It's pretty scary, no one has ever seen anything like this before, and no one has an immunity to it. Oh, fun.

Carn, last I heard it was 6. I think this sounds like any other flu. It will die out soon (like when school ends) because people aren't as close together and jammed in unventilated rooms that fill with other diseases too. Only worry in my head is that I don't want the flu period, I have had it once, I NEVER want it again.

I have never had the real flu. Only just the very short barely a 24 hr thing once or twice.

Can't say I'm surprised it's in France. With global commuting the way it is now days, all it takes is one infected person to hop a jet to some other country and it's there.

Unfortunately, that's true.

I don't think I've ever had the flu. The closest thing was in November where I threw up 8 times...but I didn't have a cold or fever or anything. It still sucked though, having a phobia of throwing up. D:

My friend has it, shes in the Hospital atm.. but my friend said that kids immune systems are stronger so she prob. won't die.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that Halt. D: I hope she's ok.

You mean the normal flu or swine flu? Also the flu is mild in the U.S. and Canada from what I heard and it would like getting a normal flu.

I would assume he means the swine flu, since he lives in California. :x

10 people in Cali have it... I just have a bad cold... I hope. :/

Hmm, ineteresting. Thanks for finding this.

Oh crapple snapple, it's suspected to be in Orlando. D:

Call me crazy, but I'm not too worried, and there's a good chance that I'll end up getting it. My mom is a teacher for an elementary school. So many parents are either unable to take the day(s) off to keep their sick kids at home, or treat the school like some kind daycare. What the kids come in with, my mom comes out with. And then it comes home.

But from everything I've heard it's just another flu. I think it's more of a concern for the young, the elderly, and the auto-immune impaired. Certainly, do all you can to prevent it, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

The "common cold" goes around world-wide, but we don't track that...

I wouldn't worry yet. I think the media is just hyping this up. The WHO is the one to get info from. Here's from today:
http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_28/en/index.html

28 April 2009--The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 19:15 GMT, 28 April 2009, seven countries have officially reported cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 64 laboratory confirmed human cases, with no deaths. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Canada (6), New Zealand (3), the United Kingdom (2), Israel (2) and Spain (2).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

Initial reports were apparently wrong! It seems to me that normal seasonal flu is far more dangerous based on what we've seen so far.

Call me crazy, but I'm not too worried
But from everything I've heard it's just another flu. I think it's more of a concern for the young, the elderly, and the auto-immune impaired.
I'm not THAT worried anymore, but I'm still just a bit concerned. But that's a good point, those are most likely the targets. Also, people who are going to the airports might be vulnerable.

Certainly, do all you can to prevent it, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
LOL. Too late. Me and my overly paranoid self. :D

Its either the flu or the swine flu, shes really sick, she skipped 5 days of school.

Back