What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

So I saw MidnightSkies' post about having found some cobra lillies at Lowe's and I thought to myself "Self, you really want a cobra lilly, and you have a local Lowe's, why don't you call them and see if they have some too?" So I called... and they had just sold out! And weren't getting any more! *cries* If I'd just called a few days ago I'd have lovely cobra lillies, and now I don't.

It makes me sad. :-:)-:)-:)-(

I thought to myself "Self....

OK, you're instantly like, one of my favorite people here now. My favorite physics professor said that all the time during his lectures and it never got old.

Don't you hate just missing stuff? I drove all the way to another town tonight to get 2" seedling pots and thedoors were open but they had technically closed 10 mins earlier. Wouldn't let me buy them even with cash and no desire for change or a receipt. :(

Sorry about that Blades. Don't worry too much... Lowes cobras usually aren't worth drooling over.
And are you sure they knew what you were talking about when you talked on the phone?

Swords- That's really crappy business. I wouldn't go back there if I was you. (But if you're anything like me, you'll go back there because they have cheap prices and/or are the closest place... even if it is crap business.)

Well, I wasn't expecting prime specimens, but a Lowe's plant would be better than what I have now, which is no plant at all. :(

Even if you had gotten one given the condition of most "death cube" plants you'd probably be without one again in a few weeks...

Odds are they thought you were asking about Easter Lilies which is probably why they won't be getting more.

Not every employee is a complete idiot. I did specify when I asked that it was a carnivorous plant.

Yes, but I doubt they know the difference between a cobra and a vft.

Given that one would be tagged "venus fly trap" and the other would be tagged "cobra lilly" I really suspect they could tell. I don't doubt he had no idea what they were when I first mentioned them, but given that he found them in his list of products, and correctly called them "cobra lillies" throughout our discussion...

I mean is there a reason you want to insult some random store employee? I'm finding it more than a little rude and pointless. I know that Lowe's gets in cobra lillies because somebody here, who definitely knows what they are, bought some at Lowe's, and I really don't think the guy I talked to was so stupid that he couldn't read the words in his own computer system.

If you're trying to make me feel better, you're not. I really dislike people who put down store employees as idiots, just because they're working a minimum wage job. I've worked some of those jobs myself, and I didn't like it when people treated me like I was stupid then, and I still don't like it now.

Given that one would be tagged "venus fly trap" and the other would be tagged "cobra lilly" I really suspect they could tell. I don't doubt he had no idea what they were when I first mentioned them, but given that he found them in his list of products, and correctly called them "cobra lillies" throughout our discussion...

I mean is there a reason you want to insult some random store employee? I'm finding it more than a little rude and pointless. I know that Lowe's gets in cobra lillies because somebody here, who definitely knows what they are, bought some at Lowe's, and I really don't think the guy I talked to was so stupid that he couldn't read the words in his own computer system.

If you're trying to make me feel better, you're not. I really dislike people who put down store employees as idiots, just because they're working a minimum wage job. I've worked some of those jobs myself, and I didn't like it when people treated me like I was stupid then, and I still don't like it now.

Woah! Hold on a second!

When did I call anyone stupid or an idiot? How am I in any way putting down a store employee just because he/she makes minimum wage? You took what I said way out of context and I suggest you calm down.

I simply suggested that the average person does not know the difference between different types of carnivorous plants. It is not a common knowledge subject, which is something you apparently did not know.
How do you expect me to know that the employee looked up the plants in the stores computer? You failed to include that vital piece of information which you are now attacking me with.

I'm not going to argue with you or try to explain what I wrote any further because it is not worth it. I'm sure everyone else who read my post knew what I meant and that I was not insulting anyone or putting anyone down because of where they work and how much money they make. Why would I insult someone in that manner for no reason anyway? I have absolutely no reason to... not only because I'm a nice person, but also because I work for minimum wage just like you did.

Quite frankly, you are being completely and utterly ridiculous.

Lol NaN if you do it right, even the crappiest condition CPs in those death cubes can be saved...
let us recall my major lowes rescue last May where i saved like....600$ worth the CPs and 95% survived....only casualties were some D. adelae

And actually Blade, let us recall many of the issues with Age3 starts plants, or the deroose controversy
Many plants, such as N. miranda, N. rafflesiana, or N. ventricosa being sold as N. alata, or a horrible typo such as N. alta.
I have personally seen, on numerous occasions, with death cubes plants, plants that are misslabled
For example....
an S. rubra labled "cobra plant"
or a N. ventricosa labled as "N. rafflesiana"
Dart wasnt trying to be rude, but he is being very honest in the fact that most lowes employees couldnt tell you the difference, since i have taken CPs to school on numerous occasions, mainly neps, and had people refer to them as "venus flytraps" because that is a name commonly assosciated with CPs....Dont jump to conclusions :) he wasnt trying to be rude

Attack? *blink* Ooooooooooooookay. No attack whatsoever was meant.

I just really can't think of any reason for your insisting, despite my trying to say otherwise, that some person you've never met must be ignorant.

see.. that`s the problem with text, you can`t see the intention behind someone`s words.
I do have to agree with theyellowdart though, i have called a number of places looking for cp`s, and sadly most of them are completely oblivious to them. And i`m sorry, but it kind of does imply that some, not all, low wage employees at stores like this, just don`t know of or about cp`s. (these people aren`t nursery plant growers or horticulturists, they are everyday joe`s and jane`s trying to make a buck)
theyellowdart was probably relating to a past experience, as i am now, so not all people are ignorant, but you have to admit, this hobby is not your typical hobby.
Maybe i should have just kept to myself, but i needed to share my opinion, as it is my right.
Cheers
Steven

Pfft.

This hobby is SO your typical hobby! Change out the plant names for snake names and replace Lowe's with Petsmart and I've seen this exact same discussion on snake keeping forums. Or swap out some of the more unusual fabrics I've used on my projects and talk about JoAnn fabrics and you could have a costuming community.

You guys act exactly like every other hobbyist group I've ever run into.

I`m sorry you feel that way, there`s no act though, people are entitled to opinions, and if you don`t like them, well feel free to word it!

BTW: the correct spelling in context of plants is "lily" plural "lilies". It comes from the Latin word "lilium".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lily
1: any of a genus (Lilium of the family Liliaceae, the lily family) of erect perennial leafy-stemmed bulbous herbs that are native to the temperate northern hemisphere and are widely cultivated for their showy flowers ; broadly : any of various plants of the lily family or of the related amaryllis or iris families.

"Lilly" (with two Ls after the "i") is either a surname or the diminutive form of the female first name "Lillian".

If they aren't getting more than I guess you can't say that the Lowes definitely has them or at least the store in question.

Google "cobra plants" and you'll find several reputable online sources for these plants. Andrew doesn't carry them. You'll get a larger, healthier plant then you'd get from a "death cube".

And from my experience the workers at Lowes don't know even what a carnivorous plant is. Nor did they know what I was talking about when asking about peat moss without fertilizer.

LOL! I work part time at Home Depot. They bring in some CP's, though not to the extent that Lowes does. The average typical garden associate is NOT at all knowledgeable about how to care for CP's. They do not open the cubes or domes. They receive way insufficient lighting. Even if they do open them to water, they use tap water. If you don't buy something within a couple days of shipment you will be left with a light-starved, neglected plant that will have to be nursed back to health. As stated earlier, it can be done. I've done it. The only Cobra Lily that has ever done well has been one that wasn't a Lowes / Botanical Wonders / TC clone. I got mine from a hobbyist in Oregon. Not sure where he got it from, though!

I've had this plant for 2 dull years, now, and this is a new flower emerging:

Picture018-2.jpg

Attack? *blink* Ooooooooooooookay. No attack whatsoever was meant.

Unfortunately, that's how it came across.

I just really can't think of any reason for your insisting, despite my trying to say otherwise, that some person you've never met must be ignorant.

Once again, when did I ever use those words? Go back and read my post. It doesn't say "Those stupid, ignorant, idiots have no idea what they're talking about... they need to stop working at Lowe's and get a real job." It was simply a suggestion that not everyone knows the difference between different types of carnivorous plants. Key word being suggestion.

Also, I was not insisting anything. I was elaborating on what I wrote in my previous post because I did not think you understood what I was trying to say. (apparently you still don't)

You guys act exactly like every other hobbyist group I've ever run into.
How is that? Because we are being nice and using our valuable time trying to help you out? The only reason we answered in this thread (that YOU created) was to help, obviously not to bash people that work at a store.
When you make statements like that, it doesn't make you look very good. That tells me is that you've started similar overzealous confrontations with other nice, generous people.

Thanks for backing me up everyone.

-Matt

Back