What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Shame of Humans - Warning: Graphic pics

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Yesterday I saw something that really is a disgrace to the human race. I understand that most people don't share my love of snakes. I also understand that most people have a fear of snakes. What I can't understand is why people can't just let things be that they don't understand or like.

Yesterday I was on my what home from a quick trip to Lowes. I was less than a mile away from home and I saw something I have been looking for for years beside the road. I knew what it was even though I only caught a quick glimpse. It was a Canebrake Rattlesnake. I quickly turned around. I knew it was probably dead but you don't see these everyday. I got out and took a look and I was right it was dead. I picked it up and put it in a container. I brought it home to take some picks and document it.

I wasn't prepared for what I was about to see. This snake wasn't ran over by a car. It's head was crushed like somebody stepped on it and it's rattles were cut off. It was clear that somebody killed this snake on purpose. This snake posed no threat because it wasn't near any homes. It was found crossing the road. Then killed because whoever found it was ignorant of the importance of this species. I'm sure even if they knew they wouldn't have cared. They killed it just to feed their ego and to have a souvenir to prove they are tough enough to kill a rattlesnake.

After I saw the way this snake was killed I called the local police department to file a report. The person that killed this snake committed a crime. Canebrake rattlesnakes are a protected species in NC and also the town of Boiling Spring Lakes is a wildlife preserve.
After the police left I took these pics.

l_e8e64012585a4778b3536b4810fd708f.jpg

l_6698e4026a904d3cbb8f099cb3e407f4.jpg

l_d0e651287da54174b15cba77a6b86310.jpg

l_e2264363996b401bad19013998854c6d.jpg

l_c6de2282b1b046d7bb0fcca6691924c0.jpg

l_a1e988fa39c142d2a1a1aab9e22df2ad.jpg

l_ce19967216da47299fae933cdbd2c5d5.jpg

l_19349debdae3487ab95634f52c442cfd.jpg

As you can see this was a beautiful animal. I can't understand how a person can be so ignorant as to kill an animal that is as rare and beautiful as this one. This is one of humanities greatest faults, to kill, fear or hate things they don't understand.

I know the person probably won't ever be caught, and even if he is he probably won't be prosecuted. I'm going to make a listing on Craigslist and offer a reward to anybody that saw this snake killed and help to prosecute the person that killed it.

Beautiful snake, Ozzy.

I know exactly what you mean. People don't understand the importance of animals (restricted or not) and kill and torture things because of their ignorance. It is very sad.

Good luck finding the *******, and thanks for being so generous with the craigslist listing.

Edit: I didn't think that word would be blocked. Oh well...the word started with a B, not an A. (I know those words have the same amount of letters. lol)

Omg, that really sucks. the problem is, most people don't care about other beings, no matter if the other beings are offending/hurting them. they hurt/kill them for fun...i'm really sorry for that snake.

Very sad to look at those pictures. Be it a puppy or a rattlesnake every living thing deserves rights. Stories like this further reinforce my hatred towards humanity and it's lack of tolerance for anything it does not like or understand. Why are we the ONE species to not fit in picture with the rest of creation?

Very sad story, hope this dirtbag gets what he deserves...Whether he gets caught by the cops or not, Karma is a b****.

Isn't it Ironic that our plants kill insects?

Well, I guess thats nature, but what that THING did to that snake, is just pointless. Killing a snake will NOT prove anything, just that your scared out off your mind and will kill a living animal.

If he were to kill, and devour that snake, it would be part of nature, seeing as everything needs to eat.

Most people don't like wild things that could threaten them. As far as many are concerned, there is no place in this world anymore for top predators, "dangerous" creatures such as rattlesnakes, or animals who’s presence inconvenience us, like pests. Where I live, if you see a rattlesnake it is perfectly acceptable to kill it in any way. Because its just a rattlesnake, or so the logic goes. Bleh... I doubt it was to feed their ego or for toughness, they probably killed it because it was there and for kicks.

They are not ignorant, they just don't give a damn.

"Man is a bad animal."
-Bryon Gysin

When I was a kid in Mississippi, people killed every venomous snake they saw and any other snake that might be one. It was accompanied by a lot of macho posturing, but there was an undercurrent of pure "fear of the dark" cowardice. There also was the mindless pleasure of doing it. I remember shooting turtles with friends and we certainly had nothing to fear from turtles. Maybe being a vegetarian now and releasing insects from my CPs is part of my penance, but it's impossible to balance what we did.

Looking at it now, I see all this senseless killing as an example of "the banality of evil." That was originally said to describe how German bureaucracy organized the Holocaust, but it applies to any situation where something that should be unacceptable becomes ordinary and accepted by otherwise normal people. It's scarier than if only evil people did evil things, because evil people are a lot less abundant than normal people.

Aw...Poor thing. D: I absolutely HATE it. HATE IT when people see a snake or an unwanted animal and just kills it. Wow. Thanks. I'm sure it's their fault that they were born in a city or town. Or it was looking for shelter or just walking/crawling about. God. I'm sure if you were a snake or something, you'd come to the house to look for shelter or prey. AAH. It drives me nuts. Sometimes when I say I saw something or someone else say they saw a snake or some other animal, I want to punch the person right in the face when I hear, "Why didn't you kill it?" I would like to rant on, but I'm sure I've made my point. :D

But Jesus Christ, it drives me completely insane. :headwall:

That's terrible. I bet this person is going to look real cool when they're showing the rattle off to their friends when a bee sends them screaming for their mommies.

Maybe being a vegetarian now and releasing insects from my CPs is part of my penance, but it's impossible to balance what we did.

Wow, really? *scratches head*

And I feed my plants insects that I catch.

That's it, none of you are invited the next time I go spotlighting for deer!
No, not really!

Seriously, I am not anti hunting but I am against killing everything that moves for the sake of killing things, an attitude i find disgusting.

Wow that is such a beautiful snake I can't believe someone did this to this poor snake every animal has the right to live dangerous or not.

I'm fine with hunting for food deer in some areas need to be hunted there's no wolves in the wild to keep them in check, but killing an animal for no reason is just horrible I hope karma bites that person back..

I remember watching Venom ER on animal planet this one guy killed a rattle snake cut the snake's head of and took it as a trophy well the guy got a bite from the snake I dunno if it was reflexes or what since the head was cut..

My cousin lives in a area where there are some farm land and some forest well she's abnormaly afraid of snakes a garter snake had crawled in front of her she called her husband and he kills it. I mean come on it's just a harmless garter snake they even knew what kind of snake it was they were braging about it acting like that snake was going to bite his wife and he saved her.. Yeah right.. >.<

Once I heared them talking like that I chewed them out I was so mad that they did that I've met alot of garter snakes and one black rat snake both moved away when I walked towards it so my thoughts is, snakes want nothing to do with people it's not the snakes fault it's home has been there for a long time and people move in. So if people don't like snakes they need to atleast learn to respect them if you live where they live.

You did the right thing Ozzy. reportingt to thep olice. Like they will not do anything about and proabably had a good laugh about it after they left your place.

When I was a child living in NW Penna. I can remeber the day my oldest brother came home with a yellow and a black rattle snake in the back of his P U He was real proud that he had killed them.

To this day his still proudly tells me about the hawks and owl etc that he kills.

Two years ago,I over camemy fear of snakes well someof them.that "bald" python that my daughter has , still gives me the creeps.

Poor snake. I hate when people kill something just because they don't like them and even more so when they are PROUD of it! I know very few people that would leave anything they deem dangerous alive if it is in a harmless place. I saw a yellow jacket's nest destroyed in a TREE!! I mean, what on earth could a nest at the top of a tree do to ANYONE?

I know the person probably won't ever be caught, and even if he is he probably won't be prosecuted. I'm going to make a listing on Craigslist and offer a reward to anybody that saw this snake killed and help to prosecute the person that killed it.

Good for you. I work with a bunch like that. I get so mad at them! I tried my best to catch a baby rat snake so I could take it home and save it's life. They caught it while I was at lunch and "had" to kill it. It struck at them. This was even after I told them what it was and that I was trying to catch it.

A baby rat snake? I feel so sorry for that poor snake those are one of my favorite kind of snakes I just don't see why people like to kill harmless reptiles.

Yesterday I saved a box turtle it was in the driveway where my brother parks luckily I got the little guy before he came home I felt so good moving him closer to the forest I should have took pictures of it I forgot the eye color, but it had alot of yellow and black coloring.

poor guy, such a beautiful creature too. I love snakes and don't understand why anyone would ever want to kill something as stunning then this species, i got an idea, lets gather up a search party and hunt the guy down and do what he did to the snake :p. just a though i wish i could truly do

Back