What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Trip To Colombia (lots of pics)

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey everyone!

I Just wanted to share some pictures i took when I went to Colombia Last year

DSC01024.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

DSC01077.jpg

DSC01078.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

DSC01085.jpg

DSC01130-1.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

fountain I made for my grandma
DSC01290.jpg

enjoy and comment

coool fountain i like the picture which is the 4th pic up from the bottom the colour on those head of the plants are really nice some coool pictures there i like the fountain too really artistic haha

Richard

Nice. Reminds me of Venezuela. Can't wait to go back at the end of May. Neat fountain. :3

Very nice I like those torch Gingers! I haven't been on a vacation since I was 12 and that was just South Dakota to see the big heads on the hill. Never a cool trip!

I was at Home Depot last week and waiting to get some lumber cut and met a guy from Colombia who also wanted wood cut. He asked me about what I was building and I said plant stand for cactus carnivores and orchids so he went on about the orchid industry in Colombia for a while. Unfortunately he wasn't a plant nut, just knew about it, maybe he'd worked at a commercial nursery there or something.

One thing that's funny is that South American people like to talk to you literally face-to-face which freaks a lot of people out. I'm used to it by working with immigrants most of my life so it doesn't bother me but when I was done getting my stuff cut I could tell the guy at home depot was clearly uncomfortable having the guy talk to him about 8 inches from his face. He kept backing up and the Colombian guy kept getting closer, had the wall not been there they may have crossed the whole store before long. :D

Tehehe I am Colombian, I'm not that good at meeting talking to people, but people over there are very close. Orchids are very popular, actually my grandmother's town renound orchids are in bloom!

One thing that's funny is that South American people like to talk to you literally face-to-face...

LOL. 100% true. We're very social people. :p

Carn, I'm not good at talking to just anyone either, I'm very quiet and introverted in person but I'll always talk if someone starts first.

What species of orchid is the town known for?

If I were to go one place on Earth, it'd either be Colombia, Venezuela, or Peru. They're such beautiful places!

My guitar teacher was from Bogota, Colombia. She always brought me Jet Chocolate. Do you guys ever eat that stuff? It's wonderful!

I looked for it in Miami but I couldn't find it.

You guys should definately look around for cps. They've got some of the best utrics and droseras down there.

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Its this type
1814r.jpg

Jefforever- I happen to have some jet chocolate in my hand now :p

Mexico is where its at baby. By it, i mean swine flu ATM, but Mexico is one of the most beautiful amazing countries on Earth, if you know where to go and who not to look at. Having Mexican heritage also can come in handy, or very, very bad if you meet a family who your great-great-whatever screwed with. :D

If not Mexico, than hawaii. Easily the best state in the union for looks, with California and Washington a close 2nd and third in my book!

Anyway, those pics are beautiful. I sure wish i had the time and money to explore those amazing South American countries...Every read the book "Jungle" by Yossi G(h?)insberg? That book is exactly what id love to do in South America, minus all the getting lost part. :) You should pick it up. ;)

Cattleya luddemania or labiata perhaps?

I forget which Cattelya species it was the old orchid hunters found growing attached to a skull so instead of detaching it they just sent the skull with the orchid attached back to Kew. Rumor has it the skull and plant are still there. Anyone hear of this before?

Sam (unclemasa) recreated that cattleya on a few plastic sulls. Ive heard of it before. :)

That would be neat to see!

i need to do one of these again :grin:

f8a5ecaf.jpg

444fe72f.jpg

Is it really growing on it or just laying there?

If you take orders, I'd like mine fixed up on a post like a headhunter totem! :D

Not sure if you can see it well but here's the CD disk label art from my old studio project Cernunnos Woods
sigil.jpg

it features a deer skull with two oaks growing from the antlers and a lil druid guy. I had the guitarist from Texas black metal band Absu draw it in trade for composing a symphonic intro for them to use for their 1995 Sun of Tiphareth Tour.

BTW did you check your PMs this weekend Rattler?

Sorry about going off course Carn! :offtopic:

its growing on there.....but its one of the plants that didnt take the move to the new house well so i no longer have it.......it had been on the skull for about 3 months in that pic......going to have to get some different orchids....not sure that i have any spares at the moment that have a growth habit that works for mounting on a skull......Catt's and its hybrids and relatives seem to work best.....

got the PM trying to figure out what i need versus what i want to keep the cost down.....

*swoon*
These pics are sooo beautiful.
:love:

Back