What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cherrystone Chicken Grit?

granite is cheap......one of the most commonly available stones which is why its so popular as a building material....or it was.......got tons of it here though none of it bedrock......it was pushed down here from the Canadian Shield with the glaciers......

now theres a cheap hobby: neps planted in granite. Maybe N. edwardsiana in marblestone? :D

Haha... ... but turkery grit IS granite. So it is cheap. :nono:

Rattler - I could've sworn there's a link on pitcherplant forum about the minerals in it. I just spent half an hour (no kidding) trying to use their crappy search function. :censor:

there is a slight amount of iron, calcium and other stuff available but they are in very, very small amounts.........they will pull far more of that stuff from the bugs in their pitchers

I wouldn't have thought of using it for CPs, I was just looking for something to use on my cacti and succulents that was cheaper and heavier than the aquatic plant soil and won't ever degrade/rot/hold too much water.

When potting Cps in it do you mix it with LFS or peat or just use it straight?

No worries about how much nutes are or aren't in there, I almost always add a 1/2 tea spoon or half capful of Dyna-grow Bloom to each gallon of my watering water since it's got a full banquet of all the minerals. Dyna-grow has their own product like this turkey grit called "Dynastone" but no shops I know of carry it, even the ones who sell their fertilizers don't carry the stone. But I doubt it could get much cheaper than the cherrystone. I'll have to repot a few extra plants in just cherrystone and see how they do.

I don't Know if this has been said yet (Was lazy and didn't feel like looking through all three pages) but it is excellent.
I went to a cp class where you make a bog bowl, and we used chicken grit in the soil, and it was fine. My plants would be growing but i did dormancy wrong. All the plants died except for 1 lucky dana's delight

So far I've had great success with quartz sand in my CP mixes. I can't imagine bigger chunks being much different.
~Joe

Back