What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The worst concept for a phone application, ever.

Finch

Whats it to ya?
I found this story when checking tech news. It is probably the worst concept that you could possibly come up with for a downloadable phone application. It's called the 'baby shaker' - I am not shocked by much but... wow.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30354894/

A controversial program for the iPhone called "Baby Shaker" was added to, then pulled from, Apple's App Store this week after protests about the program's offensive nature dealing with a deadly serious subject.

Child protection groups were outraged by the 99-cent app for the iPhone and iPhone touch, which encourages those frustrated with babies' crying to shake them, or in this case, shake their devices to change drawings of a crying baby to a calm one.
The plug-

"On a plane, on the bus, in a theater. Babies are everywhere you don't want them to be! They're always distracting you from preparing for that big presentation at work with their incessant crying. Before Baby Shaker there was nothing you could do about it.

"Now, Baby Shaker gives you a charming drawing of a baby sure to make those with a less than iron will fawn. True to life, it begins to annoy you immediately. See how long you can endure his or her adorable cries before you just have to find a way to quiet the baby down!"

Absolutely repulsive concept. I don't think it will cause any real harm but if you don't find something wrong with the whole concept of it... there's something wrong with you. Who gets these things?

LOL! :-))

I mean shaking babies is not good thing of course but it's almost as if this were a prank post. I read your link and it seems to be a real story but I can hardly believe a "professional" company like Apple would risk even the remotest possibility of someone eventually shaking a baby to death and then claiming they got the idea from the Iphone or whatever. Some rogue internet prankster making an app like this - sure I can see it but not someone like Apple. Not that Apple is more respectable but rather corporations like to keep their rear ends covered. Some corporate lawyer must've been on vacation when they OK'd this! :D

Yeah, but I think it was an independent application that was somehow passed by the company's reviewers. The problem is that they allowed it, not that they made it. I don't think they actually produced it themselves. That would make this much more interesting...

Probably one of those things that the person that checked approve thought something along the lines of "Well it is not exactly tasteful, but I don't really see the harm in it..." Whereas many others (obviously) didn't think it was appropriate. I'm sure this person probably doesn't have a degree in law school or understand liability at all.

xvart.

My friend has this one:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/laDB9f73Yjc&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/laDB9f73Yjc&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's awesome, Wurm! I'd use it all the time on my friends. lol

Lol, my brother has that on his Storm. It's kind of tacky, but you're supposed to have a shoot off with friends and if you shoot someone else's phone, they get out...or something like that.

um, I don't find it the least bit offensive. There are a lot of things out there that should be considered offensive if this was and there is nothing wrong with me no matter what you say. Its not hurting any one one, and saying I got the idea to shake baby to death from your ipod probably isn't a good defense and you must be seriously messed up before that.

I agree Ant, this doesnt offend me in the least bit. This is just as 'offending' as video games where you can blast people in the face or mow down zombies with a lawn mower. It's an application and people seem to have lost track of that. The real concern should be targeted towards the people that cant separate reality from video games.

I agree Ant, this doesnt offend me in the least bit. This is just as 'offending' as video games where you can blast people in the face or mow down zombies with a lawn mower. It's an application and people seem to have lost track of that. The real concern should be targeted towards the people that cant separate reality from video games.

This is somewhat a video game.

I do agree that it isn't offensive, but you have to take into consideration the amount of people that sue for nothing now a days. Some schmuck might shake their baby to death and sue Apple saying that this was where they got the idea from, as I believe was previously mentioned.
Unfortunately in today's society, everything must be taken very literally or things will be taken advantage of. Specifically with this product, one cannot assume that a person's intelligence is great enough to know not to shake a baby into a submission.

This is somewhat a video game.

I do agree that it isn't offensive, but you have to take into consideration the amount of people that sue for nothing now a days. Some schmuck might shake their baby to death and sue Apple saying that this was where they got the idea from, as I believe was previously mentioned.
Unfortunately in today's society, everything must be taken very literally or things will be taken advantage of. Specifically with this product, one cannot assume that a person's intelligence is great enough to know not to shake a baby into a submission.

Agreed, dont see how it's an oxymoron though, I was referring to more of xbox games in comparison to this. I dont consider an application a video game but that's just my POV.

What you stated about 'one cannot assume that a person's intelligence is great enough to know' holds true in just about every part of society not just shaking a baby. This reminds me of the whole issue with the lady at McDonalds getting a coffee and burning herself then suing and winning some millions of dollars. Was she expecting a frozen coffee?
Everything is taken so literally then when things get to the court room people read in between the lines as much as they can... Where is the balance?:crazy:

Sorry about the oxymoron thing, french.... I took it out after I re-read what you wrote.
Note that I wrote "Specifically for this product..." I believe it holds true for every part of society as well.

While we're on the topic of crazy suing...
One of my teachers told me he heard about a burglar suing someone whose house he broke into because their garage door fell on and injured him...and he WON the case!
I'm not sure exactly how true it is. I'll have to do some research.

Actually Dart I have heard the same thing, and I know someone through my parents that has had something similar.
The guy broke in and tripped and ended up breaking his ankle, sued and won. Makes you feel unsafe when the cops tell you that the only thing you can do is get them out but once they no longer pose a 'threat' you have to let em go. How are you suppose to know whether or not they pose a threat anymore? When they turn their backs to you?
Maybe I should try robbing a house walking backwards lol

Eh... I play video games where I hurt/shoot/kill both animals and people (sometimes they are realistic beings, sometimes totally fictitious, like a plant monster). I would never do such things in real life, though. Same goes for the Baby Shaker. If I would find it fun and entertaining, then I'd play it. It doesn't mean I'm a baby abuser or that the game will make me shake babies...

Personally, I do draw a line somewhere. For instance, I would never play a game simulating the Holocaust or something of the sort. The baby shaker doesn't cross the line for me. ...Still doesn't mean I'll play it. Heck, I don't even have a phone that plays games!

The above is definitely not applicable to children. The problem I have here is that the target audience is probably young, impressionable, naive, teen boys that are consumed by their little electronic devices and online social sites....

Play responsibly.

The above is definitely not applicable to children.

Now Joel, are you trying to convince me that you're not a child? Look at your avatar man! :p

As for the baby shaking game, it's stupid. Nothing more to me. Apple is also stupid for letting it happen. I don't find it that offensive. I just don't understand why someone would pay money for that.

Jason

Now Joel, are you trying to convince me that you're not a child? Look at your avatar man! :p

Child at heart, not at mind or vessel. :nana:

So............if one were to use that "Shotgun" phone app and "aim" your phone at an law enforcement official, would it be considered an attack that would land you in the slammer or even a fine?

Weird app.................

So............if one were to use that "Shotgun" phone app and "aim" your phone at an law enforcement official, would it be considered an attack that would land you in the slammer or even a fine?

Weird app.................

He'd think you have mental issues.

Baby shaker app is amusing for the first few minutes, and that is about all it's good for. Nothing wrong with the app, if people don't like it, don't buy it.

Back