What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1000th Geocache!

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
For the geocachers on the site (I know there are a few) I hit my 1000 find today. :banana2:

Here's my profile page with all the good numbers if you want to have a look. If you do not have a geocaching profile I'm not sure if it's viewable to those people or not.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/

If your not sure what geocaching is.
http://www.geocaching.com/

um, so people put items in random places and write the coordinates then have others try and find them?

Congratulations. It seems pretty interesting.

Sounds cool. There's some of those really close to me.

Wow, there is one less then 30 seconds from me! So, if I were to join this, what gpc should I get that would most likely be in my price range?

Congrats! That's exciting. Was the 1000th one a special cache or super exciting?

I haven't been caching in a couple of years. It's something I miss and hope that I can get back into it this summer. I'm sure quite a few more have sprung up in my area.

xvart.

Don't give him a hard time, Ant. If not for such a hobby, geocachers might spend their free time exposing themselves to little old ladies. Let's be thankful they spend their time putting items in random places and writing the coordinates so others can find them. It's mostly harmless.

Don't give him a hard time, Ant. If not for such a hobby, geocachers might spend their free time exposing themselves to little old ladies. Let's be thankful they spend their time putting items in random places and writing the coordinates so others can find them. It's mostly harmless.

I wasn't trying to be mean! I was seriously asking a question! :0o:

Congrats! I started about a year ago, but I am only around 280. 1000 is quite a feat.

Congrats elgecko! Geochaching sounds like fun and adventurous!!

I've done some orienteering before, which is similar. Geochaching on one's own free time seems more enjoyable.

um, so people put items in random places and write the coordinates then have others try and find them?
Some hides are like that. Others find interesting locations, or with history, so you learn something while doing this activity. Some can be tough puzzles to decipher to find the coordinates.

I've always enjoyed hiking and heard about geocaching but did not have a GPS years ago. I finally bought a GPS and now it's something else to do while hiking. My favorite hides are in such a place I can park the car, put on the backpack, and head out for several hours hiking and finding caches on the way.

Wow, there is one less then 30 seconds from me! So, if I were to join this, what gpc should I get that would most likely be in my price range?
I've always used Garmin. My first GPS was a Etrex Legend. Had that one for 4 years. Then the end of last year I finally upgraded to a GPSMap 60CSx after much research into the different Garmin models. I love the GPSMap 60CSx.
You can get basic models for around $100.00 up to $600.00 with all the bells and whistles. Newest one coming out had a camera built in.
I got the GPSMap 60CSx off ebay for $270.00 shipped to my door. When I got it the cheapest I could find online was around $310.00 shipped. Looking around online now I see they are around $275.00 shipped, so you might be able to find it cheaper on ebay.
It would probably be best to find someone who does this activity and tag along with them before spending money on one before you know if you will like it. For me, I would have a GPS for my hiking even if I did not geocache.

Congrats! That's exciting. Was the 1000th one a special cache or super exciting?

I haven't been caching in a couple of years. It's something I miss and hope that I can get back into it this summer. I'm sure quite a few more have sprung up in my area.

xvart.
I did not pick out a special cache to do for my 1000th find. It was like any cache, glad I found it. LOL

Congrats elgecko. I've always wanted to try Geocaching.

Joel, I go orienteering all the time.
Does anyone else here do it?

YAY! Congratulations! That's awesome!

I'm at just 88. :( I love caching but it's so hard to find the time to go. I do have 5 cache listings though and I get out and check on those fairly often. One is temporarily archived for maintenance.

Yep...most people that go caching once get hooked. But you do have to be a sort of outdoorsy type. I have a blast doing the woodland caches. They are my favorites. But there are caches of all types. I don't like the puzzle caches. I'm not good at solving puzzles. I've done ONE.

Just 12 more and I'll hit a whopping 100. :blush: LOL

Good for you, Steve! :D

i did about 5 with my wife's sisters while we were in South Dakota last year.......it was fun but i prefer the canoeing we did......prolly doesnt help that pretty well no one does them up here, least ive never heard of any....should find a place to post some and hide some down in the hell holes i go looking for elk in on public land......the ones where my wife refuses to carry a rifle down into cause she says she aint stupid enough to shoot something down in one....wonder what she means by that?

as for the question on what GPS to buy.....anything by Garmin.......most guys i know that really have to depend on a GPS for what they do swear by Garmin and swear at other brands....granted there are a few decent models in other brands, Garmin tends to be good across their whole line.....

There are many "extreme" geocachers out there who are always drooling waiting for the next "5 rated" (difficult terrain) cache to be published. You should see where some caches are located...where you have to hike, rock climb, canoe, etc. Many people will travel long distances to do these. Maybe you should place a cache. But you have to make sure it meets all the rules and that you can maintain it.

I use a Garmin but I use a Quest...a bit unusual but works for me. :)

couldnt maintain it from Jan through bout now......course it would take a pretty masochistic individual to go out there mid winter......but im out there atleas once a month for fishing and hunting from June through the end of November.....

Thanks for the congrats on my 1000th find.

PAK,
Pack you things and come north this weekend. You'll have no problem getting those last 12 caches to hit your 100th one. I'm going to my first Mega Event in NY. The 2009 Allegany State Park GeoBash. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6aac080a-3b50-4ceb-8f06-3c6cd83d7e19

Only did one 5/5 cache with a group. It was a 3 part multi with the final cache inside a cave. Very Cool!!
Best cache I did to date.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d01954ac-b581-4c97-a45f-ec3f074a230e

hmmmmm must be alot of ppl up in Scobey doing this(all the 40 some miles north would be Scobey....50 miles is the Canuck border).....but i dont go up there......the wife torqued off the county sheriff and we beat hell out of there before we got arrested the last time :D

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=48.2276673&lng=-105.5313629&dist=100

actually kinda funny.......there are about a dozen i bet i could find from the names they gave them alone....

I was into geocaching for a while, it's a lot of fun.
I have the Garmin Etrex Vista HCx and like it a lot.
It has a pretty good display and other good features while still affordable.
I have the Garmin Natrional Parks map product for my area installed, and it's quite good.
My biggest use for the GPS though is hiking. We have lots of forest trails in Southern Illinois and some pals and I are using our GPS units to map them out. That's a lot of fun!
Then I have National Geographic Topo maps for my state on my computer so when I get home I can make a nice topo map of the hike. It does a great job and makes very nice maps.

Then I have National Geographic Topo maps for my state on my computer so when I get home I can make a nice topo map of the hike. It does a great job and makes very nice maps.

Topographic maps are the best. I'm finishing up an entire class dedicated to topo map and aerial photo interpretation/usage. If you're in college or even have access to a cheap community college I highly recommended taking a geography course on topo map interpretation. A GIS class can also complement this as you can create your own features, geocode, georeference, and in the end, create some nice map outputs.

I'm going to have to get my own unit sometime down the road...

Back