What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jika Tabi

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
This thread is dedicated to the awesomeness that is Jika-Tabi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jika-tabi

Jika-Tabi (地下足袋: "tabi that contact the ground") are a type of outdoor footwear worn in Japan.
Also known (outside Japan) as "tabi boots", they are modelled on tabi, traditional split-toe Japanese socks. Like other tabi, jika-tabi have a divided toe area so that they can in theory be worn with slip-on thonged footwear, but they are heavy-duty, and resemble boots.
Shojiro Ishibashi, the founder of the major tire company Bridgestone Corporation, is credited with their invention.
One disadvantage of jika-tabi is that they provide no real protection to the foot against falling objects or protruding sharp objects.

According to Shiatsu theory, wearing Tabi benefits the back, the spine, and the digestion due to the acupuncture meridians located between the toes. Also, some people find wearing Tabi keeps their toes from overlapping and prevents foot problems.

rikiotabi1.jpg

rikiotabi2.jpg

airjogtabi3.jpg

Places to buy jika-tabi:
http://cooleastmarket.com/index.php
http://www2.famille.ne.jp/~tobiya/shopping/tabi1.html
http://www.ninjatabi.com/

So, anyone else into jika-tabi? :D

That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen...

Kidding.

Cool stuff -- looks kinda uncomfortable though. Your toes would really be spread out too much.

That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen...

Kidding.

Cool stuff -- looks kinda uncomfortable though. Your toes would really be spread out too much.

They are actually extremely comfortable. When I wear them, it doesn't feel like the toes are separated at all. They are basically like socks, but with a rubber sole.

But yes, they do look a little different. But if you like flip-flops, you'll be sure to love these.

I wouldn't beat you up if I saw you wearing those. Although someone else might!

If the jika-tabi look too "exotic', you can get tabi sneakers:

ChrE074a.jpg

Omg, those look a little like the footwear aliens would wear. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER....LIVE LONG AND PROSPER.....;)

Omg, those look a little like the footwear aliens would wear. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER....LIVE LONG AND PROSPER.....;)

If you watched "Star Trek", you may have noticed the Romulans wearing jika-tabi:

Romulantabi.jpg

This is what they wore (they can be purchased online for $170):
Ayyatabi2.jpg

Looks like something a camel would wear, not aliens. No offense or anything... But,:puke2:

Lol dart.

Billy, those look really weird and ridiculous...but they're probably comfortable. Lol.

LOL "Camel Toe"...! :D

I like the black leather ones. Are they comfortable having the big toe separated, and what is that separate for?

The ones Billy showed with every toe separate is wild, I just wanna try them on!

The split toe is for fitting into a flip-flop style sandal (zori.) I haven't tried jika tabi before, but I used to have some tabi socks and I always liked them. It seems silly and too trivial to make a difference, but I do think that they improve posture somewhat. I have oddly-shaped feet and most shoes put my toes in a very uncomfortable position. When I had some zori-like sandals (they didn't look like cool samurai props, sadly) I noticed a big difference - enough that I wore them on many occasions when sandals weren't called for, until they fell apart. Your feet are supposed to spread out and grasp the ground - wearing shoes that bind your toes and the ball of your foot just works against the natural mechanics of your body.
~Joe

I agree with not constricting your feet. I've got rather flat feet and normal shoes hurt to wear plus they're hot, so I wear sandals (not the flip flops) from april til october and my feet always happiest in those.

Sandals suck for 2 feet of snow though! :D

LOL "Camel Toe"...! :D

I like the black leather ones. Are they comfortable having the big toe separated, and what is that separate for?

The ones Billy showed with every toe separate is wild, I just wanna try them on!

Jika-tabi are very comfortable and when you wear them, you hardly notice the split toe.

The split toe improves balance and grip, and it also improves circulation and digestion, allowing the wearer to feel more alert.

its a reflexology thing............

im sure it works, but i am completely with swords. I couldnt stop thinking "camel toe".

im sure it works, but i am completely with swords. I couldnt stop thinking "camel toe".

Personally, I like the styling because it's unique and looks different from the usual sneakers and such.

LOL @ "camel toe" :-))

I do a lot of browsing in Japanese web sites and books on gardening and so forth. I see a lot of people wearing these; everyone from gardeners and professional landscapers trimming shrubs and niwaki (on ladders) to farmers and fowl keepers.

They do look comfortable, but not something I think I would go out in public in here in the US. Especially with the Star Trek association now... That's just adding insult to injury with the shoe's already perceived odd appearance here in the US. Now they have to be a "Treky" thing in addition to that... geesh.

Like Swords, I'm most comfortable in flip flops and wear those except when shoes are absolutely necessary. I have a good arch, but my feet are like ducks feet. LOL (and oddly enough I can't swim worth anything)Triple E at the ball part of my foot and "normal" at the heel. Regular width shoes are killers and wide shoes flop on my heel. Most shoes also cut into the top of my foot back near my ankle. Having to tie them loosely for that doesn't help the heel issue either.

I could probably wear those 5 toe shoes. LOL I have pretty much natural feet where my toes spread out for balance and have not been restricted by shoes.

Back