What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summer/Fall Vacation

I am Bob

Not really
This summer/ fall I will be traveling alot. I will be in Chicago this July and Florida (Panama City) in the fall. I will also be in Houston,Texas this summer. I was wondering if anybody knows of any places near those areas where I can see the Cps in their native habitat etc...

Thanks in advance

Steven,
There are a number of threads here & on the listserver concerning requests to see CPs in their native habitat. While the posters are almost always well-intentioned, there are a number of reasons why people are reluctant to share details on specific sites. For a starter thread, check out this...

Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to offend anybody if I did so. I just thought I'd put it out there. If this is ok, Anyone who might be willing to send me some info etc. please pm it to me

Do a little searching on the internet. I quickly found this listing:

http://www.floridahikes.com/clearcreek

Once you're in that site, search for pitcher and you'll get a list of 24 places. Clear Creek is described as "the best place in Florida to revel in the peak of pitcher plant blooms" and, whether true or not, it seems like a promising destination. It's a couple hours west of Panama City, but there are some great beaches along the way and, if you take the inland route and watch for possible habitat, you might make your own discoveries.

Personally, I think it's crazy to worry about poachers when developers not only eliminate the plants, they make sure an area's plants will never regenerate. We worry about someone sneaking off with a few hundred plants at night while developers bulldoze acres of bog in broad daylight.

Thanks HerenorThere. I also heard something about the Wilkerson bog, but don't know what the status of that is and if she would let me visit.

Back