What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wisdom tooth coming in....

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date

joossa

Aklys
I have my third wisdom tooth coming in and the little bugger has been hurting for days! I can't take it anymore! So I'm posting here to vent a bit and to hear your wisdom tooth stories....

I already have my two upper wisdom teeth. Now, my lower right one is coming in. I could feel that the tips were protruding for some weeks, but now it's really pushing up. I feel like I have a fissure back there. It hurts constantly, and the constant pain makes me so annoyed and irritable! :censor: At times it also bleeds a little. I don't remember my other ones hurting so much... Advil does help, but I still feel the annoyance every minute of the day.

It's coming in well and is not impacted. I pray that the fourth (last) one comes in well too as visiting the dentist is my greatest fear.... I shiver at the thought of having one removed.

Do any of you have all four of your wisdom teeth? Have any of you had them removed?

let me take it out for you joossa rofl i can be your dentist lol nah wisdom teeth do hurt so much mine are coming through also it hurts alot but there is not much you can do it takes some years sometimes to come through so the paiin is never ending good luck anyway

Richard

Do any of you have all four of your wisdom teeth? Have any of you had them removed?

I only had 2 wisdom teeth. I had them, removed Jan 1 of 2008 to kick off the new year. That night I was eating spaghetti with my family and went over to a friend's house to watch a movie... :p But for about a week there you get sympathy and get to eat nothing but smoothies and pudding and jello (unless you're feeling good enough to eat something else.) Getting your wisdom teeth removed is sweet. Just remember to take all of the ibuprofen they give you as more than just helping with he pain, it reduces swelling.

:sigh: Sweet memories. :p

Hehe, my story... sucked. It should not be used as reference when planning a trip to the dentist... here goes.

So, like you, I had to have my wisdom teeth removed... Born with all four (lucky me) and the procedure is simple, one at a time, top then bottom. So he starts with the top right, goes fine, done in 10 minutes... He then goes for the top left... Urghhh, hurts to remember this atm, lol. For some reason, it just wouldn't budge, I was 'rooted-in' very well, and propped up against the next tooth's root. I'll spare the details, but I will say that the dentist took a break from that tooth and moved to the bottom teeth.

By this time, I am in incredible pain, not cause I felt anything (I was completely numb), but cause my neck and face muscles were taught and cramped up due to my having to work against his pushes and pulls...

So, hoping that now he's moved to the bottom teeth, it would go smoother than the last tooth. Well, boy was I wrong. Back and forth, left and right, trying anything in his bag of tricks, nada. Wouldn't budge! Once again, *details removed* (you just don't wanna know) he finally got the bottome two out, but it was 2 hours later. He then goes back up top, and finishes off the job.

A procedure that should have taken say, an hour, an hour and a half tops. I was there for 5 hours, and when i left, i couldn't move my head, had a splitting headache (i never, ever, get headaches) and couldn't eat solid foods for 3 weeks. Diet of milkshakes and 'fortified' jello, mashed potatoes, mashed everything for that matter :)

Thank god it's a once in a lifetime thing, like chickenpox.

Don't be worried, it's a very easy fix, for most people, I, unfortunately, have 'unusually' closely spaced teeth, makes for a great smile tho ;) Listen, my story is a 1 in a 1000 type of thing, you have nothing to worry about. Just be prepared to not be able to eat solids for two-three days. You're gonna look like a chipmunk for those two days with swollen cheeks, girls are gonna be all over you ;) (not really)
I love going to the dentist, there's no better feeling than coming out of there, clean and fresh, and good to go for a good 6-12 months.

Dude, bloke, you were awake for the procedure? hahaha

Screw that. :p

I wanted to be asleep simply due to the facts of what you mention - jaw and neck cramps. And I don't need the details. haha

awake the whole way through

haha guys dont be women :D i am riding out the pain untill they come through rofl be cool like me and await them haha the pain is crazy but its coool when therre through there through so ill wait i think i wont have them out

Richard

oh, mine were all out when they removed them, thank god.

IIRC i only have 3 of them.....a 4th never grew......2 came in at a slight angle so that they are pointing slightly towards my cheeks....the third hasnt erupted but is sitting sideways below the gum.....other than the top ones at an angle slicing my cheek when they first came through and a bit of pressure i havent had any issues......but then again i dont have pain nerves in my teeth so im an odd ball anyways.....shattered one of my molars and the nerve was exposed for 2 and a half years before i got around to getting the remainder of it pulled....only reason i finally did that is cause i do still have the nerves that feel heat and cold and i was starting to miss ice cream :grin:

I have all 4, they have come all the way in, and I have plenty of space to hold them. i.e. they are staying right where they are.

2 of my brothers had their tops removed, 2 didn't get/need them removed at all. I have a 50/50 chance as I see it. When will they grow in! XD lol it worries me.

I have all four waiting to come in. Looking forward to it...

I had mine all come in then rot out, it's awesome! :-D

I guess maybe not on the bottom left, nothings rotten there, yet!

Apparently I didn't have enough room for them. I hurt for years during and after, now I feel pretty good, my teeth are all still screwed but at least I don't hurt unless I eat a lot of that halloween candy. At halloween time I always get an abscess/swelled face cos I can't leave the bags of cheap candy alone when I go to get groceries!

If you have decent dental coverage from your parents or job, use it and keep those teeth in good shape. You won't regret having good teeth. I went to the dentist last October just to see, I'm still laughing at the figure he flashed me. I guess I'd be buying him a Ford Focus of his own is why he asked how I liked mine!:D

lol, I think I have great coverage, does a visit and cleaning every 6 months count as "good"? (also dental emergencies can easily be fit in between.)

For me great coverage would be someone who pays for everything wrong with my teeth. I hadn't been to the dentist since 4th grade. How old are you in 4th grade? I'm 33 or something now...
I can get two free cleanings too but that's like throwing change at a homeless person - it's not really gonna help the situation at this point! :D

first time i ever saw a dentist was when i got that tooth pulled 2 years ago........im 27......

I have first hand knowledge that they indeed do not bring wisdom. :-))

I have 3. My bottom left never came in. My top right is only sticking out of my gum as far as its initial bottom surface. That one took at least 3 yrs to grow in. I think I got mine late anyway. It hurt like everything most of the time. Nothing really helped. I could feel it under my gum and took it upon myself to help it break through to just get it over with. I would chomp on any crunchy food I could get back there. FYI, cold/frozen foods hurt less... much less.

My mother has always said hers should have been pulled, but the "quack" dentist she went to wouldn't do it because, "It wasn't necessary." in his opinion. She didn't have room for hers and they pushed part of her other teeth together.

The only problem I have with mine now is that I occasionally bite the inside of my cheek and edge of my tongue with my right set while eating.

The pushing on all the other teeth was the worst of it for me, not so much the new teeth coming in but what it did causing pain to all the others. It was like an overall face pain. Of course they don't all come at the same time so you get to go through periods of hell and relief over and over again! :D

I remember driving to the store one night and having the pain kick in and I didn't think I'd be able to get my head together to drive home it was just insane. I think that may have been the night I went to the ER at 4 am and they drained the pus outta my swelled gums and gave me those worthless opioid drugs vicodin or oxycotton (sp?). I don't know what the big deal is with them, six Ibeuprophen was much better, one of those prescribed things every 4 hours did nothing.

My mom had a bad dentist too, he was a drunk that kept a bottle in the top of his cabinet and used to always drill your teeth, gums, tongue and cheek! :D

I just have a top pair, none on the bottom. I had to have teeth removed before I got braces when I was around 12, because I had extra teeth that were crowding the front ones, and I think with the extra space my wisdom teeth had plenty of room to come in. It felt weird when they emerged, but didn't hurt once by the time they started poking out. They did ache a little for some time beforehand, but I wasn't really aware of it until I thought about it in retrospect.
One trick I have learned for relieving tooth pain - my braces and the subsequent retainers were very uncomfortable - is an old Chinese exercise for the teeth. You basically rub your tongue back and forth along the surfaces of your teeth and gums. The formal method is to do 36 reps, swish thoroughly with the resulting saliva and then swallow. I'm not very disciplined about it, but just the rubbing part does seem to help a lot. I often do it by reflex now.
~Joe

Joe did you get some sorta fortified formula as a baby? I did and my baby teeth all had to be pulled, they wouldn't fall out naturally so the new ones grew underneath or overtop so I have extras too. "Sharktooth Willy". I had most of my baby teeth pulled in 4th grade but I still have a few that they had left in until the other adult ones came but then we didn't have insurance anymore so that was that. But as a kid not having to go to the dentist is rather good news. It's 20 years later when the problems begin...!

Back