What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Birds

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
:censor: There were some birds upfront in the gutters... fine with that, but i put out my neps and they started pecking spaghnum to put in their nest. the evidence was the nest speckled with spaghnum and perlite... so i moved them down back. Then, a bird tore off two ventricosa pitchers, and left a serious hole in one of them. My sanguienea and fusca's top growth was actually torn off. Will these two make it? Pictures later

lol, that's pretty funny about the sphagnum for a nest. Sucks about the plants, but the ones with the top growth off have a good chance of surviving. Usually they sprout basal, offshoot, or activate a node.

Good. now i can't wait to see if they do. for now they're in an area birds wont find them

If you have birds that persistent, you may want to build a lean-to frame of some sort next to the house or something and cover it with bird netting. Leave a slightly overlapping curtain area in one side as an access door for you to enter and exit through.

Now, either a bird or chipmunk tore up my sundew, biting some of the crown off, and biting off the flower bud. I may need to mesh it if it happens again

I had some blue jays make off with my Sphagnum and VFTs one year. After that, I started using chicken wire.
~Joe

we do have some chicken wire around a fence... but my dad has some netting which ill put over the bog, easily removable. Ill just need to hold it down with rocks b/c of wind

Back