What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP Photo Finder new & improved

The Carnivorous Plant Photo Finder has grown up!
http://www.cpphotofinder.com/

Thanks to the great drive, vision, and programming abilities of Jan Myszkier, the Carnivorous Plant Photo Finder has a new functionality, look, and feel. The pages load much faster -- which those who have a dial-up connection should appreciate.

We would much like to hear about any improvements or changes that you might suggest. I have continued to simply provide links to photos rather than thumbnails, because I cannot afford a staff of lawyers to defend against copyright like Google, and, I do not want to offend any owner of photos -- who, after all, are lovers of CPs like all of us.

The old CP Photo Finder at
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/
will continue to work, but I will cease maintaining those links. I will add a link on the old pages to the new site. Eventually, I will automatically redirect the old pages.

:clap: Thanks for all the work that you and Jan have put into this Bob! Such a useful tool, I use it all the time! Thanks so much!!!

ok im impressed......the Nepenthes section always frustrated me.....even with DSL it wasnt exactly fast to load.....sucked especially when you were looking for something near the end of the alphabet.....loads darn near instantaneously for menow......

Very cool! Thanks for letting us know here.

Wow, it's so much better! You guys did an amazing job! Now I don't have to scroll down so much through links after links.

ok im impressed.....
Ditto!

....loads darn near instantaneously for me now......
Agreed - except I'd eliminate the 'darn near'. Everything popped up as soon as I clicked it. Bob - you continue to impress - how you ever found the time to create this thing is beyond me. Even starting to ponder maintaining it is incredible .... Thanks for helping us mortals ...:hail:

lol....im in BFE....my DSL isnt true DSL......."darn near" is as close as im going to get :D .......but its 100 times better than it was.....

wow, that is awesome work! congrats and thank you!!!

THANK YOU! Now the site is useable on my mobile phone. Before I'd always run out of memory-but no more!

The new site appears to be missing my favorite picture:
Bob_Mel2841b.JPG

:D
~Joe

Joe, I'm glad that someone else remembers that picture. :) That's always been one of my favorites. I love Where the Wild Things Are, and the thought of a stage performance always makes me smile. And performed by a great CPer, nonetheless!

Much thanks for bettering a great tool !

:clap: Thanks for all the work that you and Jan have put into this Bob! Such a useful tool, I use it all the time! Thanks so much!!!

My sentiments, exactly!

Very Cool! Does need that picture back though

Thanks to the wizardry of Jan Myszkier we are now experimenting with a mouse-over preview of jpg links in the CP Photo Finder. In this way, you can get a preview of the photo without having to click on the link. Simply move the mouse cursor over a link and a preview thumbnail will appear. So far, while testing, we have added this feature to some, but not all jpg links.

For example, try
http://www.cpphotofinder.com/byblis-aquatica-23.html

We have tested the feature with Firefox, IE, and Safari. We would be interested if this works for all browsers and versions. If you have a problem or comment, let me know.

You will still have to click on links to html, php, pdf, and directories.

That will be a neat improvement.

That is hawt.

I remember when the site was one or two pages of links that just went on and on. I dig the new setup!

Where it links up that preview thing is really great!

:boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

That is awesome!

I often use the site as a reference, maybe to see what my babies will look like later, or to look up something. When most of the images are of seedlings or leaves, it gets frustrating. This is great!

Back