What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Each growing season has its surprises.

On the Sarracenia rubra ssp gulfensis "Ancestral Form" I find a pair of fused flower stalks:
P5300008.jpg

And just to get into the act, the same thing happened on a division I took of the plant this year:
P5300009.jpg

And that's not all, the Dionaea 'Akai Ryu' flower stalk does it also (traps look bad, spider mites followed by aphids - the joys of growing outdoors):
P5300010.jpg

And to top it off the Drosera binata I've had for two years went from single forks to double forks. Note: these are the mother plants of the seed I gave away last year.:
P5300012.jpg

P5300011.jpg

Maybe I'll get a few double traps this year :lol:

Lol! that's pretty cool!

VERY interesting! Of all my years and hundreds of flowers from that Sarracenia clone, I've NEVER gotten a fused flower stalk. How very interesting that you'd see it not just once but twice.

cool, one of my mom's rose bushes is doing that except it is still connected to about where all the reproductive parts are. (so there will be two of them, just really close together.)

I agree... very interesting and cool! :)

Cool! There were several conjoined Plantains at the grocery store today. I wouldn't have noticed but the kid stocking the fruit counter said "what the hell?!" and held up a couple mutant bananas! :D

Very weird. By the way, it's interesting that your VFT gets the insect and mite problems outdoors. That's where I put plants to solve those problems. I've brought infested plants home and, if it's the right time of year, I stick the plant in a flower bed or weedy area (I tend to have both) and, within a couple days, the plant will be clean. Usually a little time in the food web is all it takes to solve that kind of problem, as long as someone hasn't destroyed that food web with pesticides (whether "conventional" or "organic"). But that's in green CT, not brown CA, and your mileage may vary.

Well I'm in an urban setting growing on a 2nd floor balcony so the weedy area shared places or someone else yard/garden.

I tried a pre-emptive strike of releasing lady bugs in the area but there probably wasn't enough food sources to keep them around a month or two ago. Now the local nurseries are out and they never know when they'll get a shipment.

VERY interesting! Of all my years and hundreds of flowers from that Sarracenia clone, I've NEVER gotten a fused flower stalk. How very interesting that you'd see it not just once but twice.

Ok, so on yet another division I find another fused pair :0o:

Ok, so on yet another division I find another fused pair

There's something very fishy going on here. Have you been giving your plants "enhancement" drugs of any sort? ;)

I'll have to hunt down some of the other people who've gotten this plant from me and see if they've ever seen this. I take it that none of your other Sarracenia exhibit this?

I treated them with Trichoderma last fall. Other than that I've been hard hit by mealybugs this year. The Neem oil and Imidacloprid might have something to do with it.

As I predicted I'd get some double traps on my Dionaea. Here's one on a 'Justina Davis'. My Dionaea were hit hard by spider mites, aphids and a few with mealybugs, which could account for the aberration also:
P7120001.jpg

P7120002.jpg

P7120003.jpg

Back