What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My roommate's cat brought home a new friend today...

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So, I pulled an all nighter last night and finally got down for a nap around six AM. I wake up at ten to what sounds like my budgie making an unusually loud noise in the living room. In reality, it is what appears to be a baby robin, almost of flying age but with a bloodied carpal joint on one wing. My roommate's cat apparently had retrieved it and placed it beneath my budgie's cage (which is where birds go in cat logic, I guess.) I am still dazed from many hours of typing mathy things and have many other things I need to do today, but I'm having difficulty simply leaving this vigorous but injured and hopelessly stupid creature to fend for itself. (It was doing the 'feed-me' pose for the cat when I found it.)
It doesn't seem to be in shock but it definitely can't fly. I put it on the roof in hopes it's mother would find it but it repeatedly jumped down and sat in the grass, waiting for someone to bring it food. I didn't know what to do, but I can't keep it indoors because I don't want it passing an illness to my bird. So, I put it in the one bird- and cat-proof enclosure in my yard; my barrel of fuschias and, coincidentally, catnip. I gave it a box to shelter in and the catnip is some three feet high. The whole thing is about four feet tall altogether and I have it tightly wrapped in several layers of poultry wire to keep cats from eating the main stems of the catnip. I put a sheetmetal bedding pan from an old critter cage on top and wedged it into the chicken wire so that critters can't get in easily. There's a space big enough that the bird can climb out once it regains its mobility. It seems hungry so later I'm going to feed it with a liquid food my vet gave me when my chins had tooth problems and weren't eating solid foods - she told me that they use it for omnivores and carnivores too in emergencies so I'm pretty sure it can sustain the bird for a while.
This has been a really rough day
in a really rough week
in a really rough month
in a really rough year.
Life is rough.
Adorable and slightly sad pics to follow. Advice appreciated.
~Joe

Would it be possible to give it to the vet clinic? Or give it way to someone who would be willing to take it in for you?

I'll look into finding a shelter tomorrow. Right now I'm mostly concerned with getting my exam done without the death of a cute fuzzy animal on my conscience. Its parents seem to have found it, but they can't get it to follow them because it can't get off the ground. Hopefully now that they know where it is they'll keep an eye on it.
~Joe

Back