What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rinsing Sand, Peat Moss, etc.

Newb question: When rinsing these things, do I have to use distilled or rain water, or is tap water okay for this? For peat, I was thinking of using tap water for rinsing and wringing out several times, and then let it dry, and then use distilled water for the planting.

For sand, I have no idea.

Does Perlite have to be rinsed?

Thanks

Well, what are you rinsing it for? If you´re just going to pot up a plant, you don´t need to rinse it. Or does the peat and perlite contain fertilizer or something?

I wouldn't use tap water without making sure the media dries out completely before you use it. I've washed out sand with tap water and then placed it into the microwave to boil all of it out, but you can only do that so much.
Your easiest bet is to just use distilled or rain. (I also recommend collecting rain water if you aren't already doing so; it will save you a ton in the long run.)

I never rinse my peat or perlite. I didn't even really know people did.

Edit: Also, if you are using horticultural sand, it does not need to be rinsed. I only rinse play sand.

I've washed out sand with tap water and then placed it into the microwave to boil all of it out

what good does this do? all your doing is boiling off all the water but any salts that were in the water will be left behind in the sand...

what good does this do? all your doing is boiling off all the water but any salts that were in the water will be left behind in the sand...

haha

Well, I guess that's pretty useless then. I probably should have realized that considering I keep a reef tank...

Edit: I guess I can see it kind of working actually... Most of the water drains into the paper towel the sand is placed on and then evaporates, leaving all the salts etc in the towel.

Newb question: When rinsing these things, do I have to use distilled or rain water, or is tap water okay for this? For peat, I was thinking of using tap water for rinsing and wringing out several times, and then let it dry, and then use distilled water for the planting.

For sand, I have no idea.

Does Perlite have to be rinsed?

Thanks

use distilled RO or rain water.....do not use tap unless its been tested and you have very low TDS.....if you use tap and you do not have low TDS readings you arent gaining anything by rinsing it.....i dont rince much of any thing but others swear by it....every time i opened up a bag of perlite i wish i had wetted it down, that dust sucks......i dont use perlite anymore though

Well, what are you rinsing it for? If you´re just going to pot up a plant, you don´t need to rinse it. Or does the peat and perlite contain fertilizer or something?

Hmmm. I've read around and have seen things like "as with anything dealing with CPs, rinse it thoroughly before using!" I read that rinsing the peat moss keeps it from growing mold or algae or something as fast. I don't know. I'd rather not rinse anyway.

So I have silica sand, peat moss, perlite, and LFS. I think I'm set to plant almost anything.

Hmmm. I've read around and have seen things like "as with anything dealing with CPs, rinse it thoroughly before using!" I read that rinsing the peat moss keeps it from growing mold or algae or something as fast. I don't know. I'd rather not rinse anyway.

So I have silica sand, peat moss, perlite, and LFS. I think I'm set to plant almost anything.

Peat naturally contains algae, cyanobacteria, and other slime-like organisms. Rinsing it isn't going to stop any of that.

Yep, sounds like your set. Silica sand is the way to go.

Peat naturally contains algae, cyanobacteria, and other slime-like organisms. Rinsing it isn't going to stop any of that.

Yep, sounds like your set. Silica sand is the way to go.

actually you can get rid of most of it Tamlin often talked about using aged peat to cut down on this sort of stuff......he would let the peat set outside in a container where the water could drain out and let the rain leach all the stuff out over the course of a year.....there really isnt a quick way to do it and if your like me and live in a near desert it wont work but if yah live somewhere that gets a good amount of rainfall and yah have the time it seems like a good idea to me....

I always rinse my peat. I put it in a bucket and fill it with enough water so that the peat is floating on the water even after it's wet. Then I stir it up and let it sit for a few hours. When I come back I have nice clean peat floating still and a bunch of muddy sludge sunk to the bottom. I keep the good stuff and ditch the rest.

I soak sand for a while too to dissolve salts before I use it.

With any new material, I mix it with my RO water and check the TDS. New perlite (w/o fertilizer) has very high TDS readings before multiple rinses (apparently this is a 'known' issue caused by chemicals used in it's manufacture). High TDS is also present w/ the silica sand that I get locally - multiple rinses & it's ok.

Since I don't feel like wasting any more RO than necessary, I typically perform the 1st rinses with tap water (warm) until the water starts to become clear. Then I rinse w/ RO until the TDS is in the neighborhood of 10 ppm (or lower). I'm currently testing the APS substitute Swords told us about from NAPA - that stuff is dusty beyond belief (but based on a post from Clint - apparently that's normal for APS ...).

You may be able to get away with not rinsing &/or not testing the TDS of the material. However, when you're prized, newly-potted plants start to fade (or maybe just not grow robustly) in a month or 3 after potting - how do you know it isn't due to all the extra mineral salts that you may have allowed into the media? :scratch: I prefer to try & make my decisions based on facts whenever possible & eliminate / reduce any negative factors under my control - the little bit of extra effort provides peace-of-mind...

Back