What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early June blooms

Aloinopsis malherbei If you buy one of these from Lowe's (usually mislabeled "Titanopsis calcarea" see bottom entry) NEVER EVER, EVER NEVER water this plant directly! It will usually turn to jelly in a couple days if the soil gets evenly wet. Mist/spray it heavily every day or two so some water goes into the soil. They subsist almost exclusively on fog/condensation, and rot when wet/flooded. I have never watered this one directly, and is why it still lives. My others of this species are dead and smushy.
aloinopsismahlberii.jpg

Conophytum minimum "Witterburgenese" back from the dead (dormancy). I sprayed this one to keep it from drying out too much and dying during dormancy and overnight the new bodies puffed up. Not a bloom but it's neat how they tear out of their shriveled old skins. I like the glyphs, most conophytums are just green globs.
conophytumminutum.jpg

Luckhoffia bueckmanii a plant which nobody knows who the parents are, assumed a hybrid of Caralluma and Huernia species. A single 3" first bloom opened up all the way so it lost it's star shape. I'll let your imagination describe the center of the bloom let me just say, "Don't sniff the black thing!" :D
Most stapeliads that have bloomed for me didn't stink but smelled like a halloween mask. This one really does reek upclose. A cluster of blooms is forming so it will be neat to see if it makes a big stink with many open together or only if you have your nose real close.
luckhoffiabueckmanii.jpg

Nananthus sp.? Not really sure this is even a Nananthus because if it's that then it's supposed to have yellow flowers. I like the purple/pink I'm OK with it really! But that leaves the door open as to what it is...
nananthussp.jpg

Senecio sp.? This one just keeps getting prettier and prettier, it was a lime green when I got it. No blooms yet but the colors are getting close to qualifing.
What the heck is it??
seneciosp1.jpg

Titanopsis hugo-schlecterii named after the German orchid/CP taxonomist Hugo Schlecter. I've found Titanopsis easier than the Aloinopsis by far. Watch out for Lowe's mislabeling the one I showed at the top as "Titanopsis calcarea". If it looks like like the plant at the top with flat green "leaves" don't water it directly by soaking the soil. But if it's similar the one here below with fat grey/white/pink/orange triangular "leaves" you can water it like a normal succulent. Titanopsis can take direct watering as long as temps are warm and not very cold at night and the soil is completely dried out. If cold and moist don't water.
titanopsishugoschecterii.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the images!

Great succulents (That what they are, right? :p)! Some of the best I´ve seen. :)

Yes "succulents" is what they are called currently. But I'm starting a grassroots campaign to have them changed to "water haters" since the less you water them the better they seem to do! :D

Josh,
You are not listening to me! LOL

Great pics and plants.

Those plants are awesome. I like it when people show pics of their non-CP plants too. You can see some pretty interesting things. Then you end up wanting those plants too.

Thanks Josh!

Back