What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apricot tree help

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey fellow tree experts,

So heres the story, there's an apricot tree growing over my dads garage. I remember it very fondlywhen i was 8 and stuff. full of apricots sweet and delicious, the luscious foliage, filled the backyard, along with the heavenly aroma of lilacs, of course they were cut down :(

This year i suspect that the apricot tree that stopped baring fruits about 4 years ago, finally made a few last year, i thought i was bouncing back. But this spring it only made very few, sparse and sicly looking bunches of leaves. Basically looks like a dormant tree with a few scatered leaves.

I fear this is its last year... Is there any hope? will it survive? what happened to it? its pretty big. If it dies that last tree that reminds m of my childhood will be gone, just like the lilacs...

Have you ever pruned it? When/with what kind of tools? Where they sterile?

Are the leaves "normal" looking?

How much water does it get? What kind of soil is it in?

No Its never ever been pruned, i don't know which soil its in because its roots are in my neighbours side, his soild probably richer than oours, because he has a larger garden with a lot of plants. Its get watered by the rain, i can say for sure what patterns are.

Oh yeah, the leaves are green, new growth is red, the new ones are in better condition. the thin branches seem to be flakey..

One possibility is old age, since stone fruit trees don't outlive people the way apples & pears can. That's my first guess, but is there any gummy stuff on the branches? That can be a sign of a lot of things and the worst is bacterial canker. There's little to nothing that can be done about that, but other causes are treatable. What was wrong with the sickly, earlier leaves? Were they discolored or spotted? Can you post photos of the tree, leaves and flakey bark?

Sorry the flakey bark was just dead leaves, the sickly leaves drying up on the edges.

Back