What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PT Barnum would be proud............

cornock_573617a.jpg

The first “anti-stab” knife is to go on sale in Britain, designed to work as normal in the kitchen but to be ineffective as a weapon.

The knife has a rounded edge instead of a point and will snag on clothing and skin to make it more difficult to stab someone.

It was invented by industrial designer John Cornock, who was inspired by a documentary in which doctors advocated banning traditional knives.

Mr Cornock, 42, from Swindon, said that the knife will cut vegetables, but will make it almost impossible to stab someone to death and will reduce the risk of accidental injuries.
Related Links

He said: “It can never be a totally safe knife, but the idea is you can’t inflict a fatal wound. Nobody could just grab one out of the kitchen drawer and kill someone.”

The knife is expected to sell for around £40-50 and has been tested with “very favourable” results by the Home Office’s Design and Technology Alliance - set up to research products that can deter crime.

#1: you can stab someone with that knife....im 100% positive i can get up enough force with one arm to sink that thing "up to the hilt" in human flesh....

#2: yah can still slice some one open with the sharp edge........

#3: suppose the inventor will get sued for false advertising or false expectation of safety or some such thing when the first person gets stabbed with this knife?

That's....a stupid idea, i totally agree rattler -_- i just don't see how it's not possible to stab someone to death with a knife.

Now that's funny. I especially enjoyed the PT Barnum reference. lol.

xvart.

You can stab somebody with a blunt stick if you've got the right force and angle behind it. Maybe the dull edge is several centimeters wide? That would make stabbing a lot harder.
This is really confusing. If you wanted to hurt someone with these things, it wouldn't be hard at all, even if you couldn't stab effectively. So it seems that it's more for preventing accidents than assault. But how often do you accidentally stab yourself? If they really want an accident-proof knife, they should find some sort of sci-fi super material that only cuts nonliving things. Interesting find, rattler.
~Joe

Typical Brits . . .

I once attended a "football" game in England back in the late 1980s with the very peaceable no-guns-for-me Britons resorting to lobbing darts -- yes, darts -- at the fans of the opposing team.

Ambulances did arrive . . .

I just made a knife that can't stab anyone.

rock3.jpg

xvart.

Question: Why would anybody buy this unless normal knives were outlawed? Presumably, the stabber is not going to buy one of these to do his stabbing...

Jason

You can stab somebody with a blunt stick if you've got the right force and angle behind it. Maybe the dull edge is several centimeters wide? That would make stabbing a lot harder.
This is really confusing. If you wanted to hurt someone with these things, it wouldn't be hard at all, even if you couldn't stab effectively. So it seems that it's more for preventing accidents than assault. But how often do you accidentally stab yourself? If they really want an accident-proof knife, they should find some sort of sci-fi super material that only cuts nonliving things. Interesting find, rattler.
~Joe

it was developed because the Brits have been cracking down on knives because knives are being used in the commission of violent crimes...this knife was "developed" to make it difficult for a criminal to use it as a weapon.....

actually there are some US officials trying to start some dumb law in that if you can open up a folding knife with one hand it is not to be imported....we arent just talking spring activated switchblades....we are talking any knife that has a knob on the blade so that you can open it one handed by using your thumb to push on the knob....like shown on the blade of this knife:
P10326022a.jpg

anyone that uses a knife alot(i use my pocket knife more than my cell phone) knows how handy it is to be able to open up a blade one handed cause the other hand is other wise occupied holding on to what needs to be cut.....

it was developed because the Brits have been cracking down on knives because knives are being used in the commission of violent crimes...this knife was "developed" to make it difficult for a criminal to use it as a weapon.....
That's not too surprising. Still, I wonder why they think this will make a big difference. You could still hurt someone with one of these knives. In fact, you could make it into an effective stabbing weapon with a few simple metalshop tools and about ten or fifteen minutes of work; just chip off the rounded dull part at a sharp angle. Was this commissioned by the UK or is it just some guy trying to fill a new market niche?
~Joe

PS - Here's something that cuts effectively but won't stab:
bh-wire-cutter-f.jpg

Hooray! Now all we need is a string that can't be used to strangle.

some guy looking at a market niche but i expect him to get sued by the first victim that gets stabbed......as for 10 or 15 minutes worth of work in a metal shop to make it a regular knife.....you must not have much experience with the tools held in one.....45 seconds on a grinding wheel.....maybe another 30 seconds on a polishing wheel and your good to go provided its not some odd ball steel alloy or have a extreamly hard temper........ :D

In fact, you could make it into an effective stabbing weapon with a few simple metalshop tools and about ten or fifteen minutes of work; just chip off the rounded dull part at a sharp angle.

I think it would be marketed not to the criminals, but to use as household items, so brothers and sisters don't stab each other, or so if you catch a criminal breaking into your house, he probably didn't bring his metalshop tools with him on the job to turn one of your knives onto you as a "stabbing weapon." :p Regardless, your point still stands, lol.

xvart.

Gimme a R-E-T!

Gimme an A-R-D!

Gimme a big E-D!!!

Whats that spell?! RETARDED!!

I think it would be marketed not to the criminals, but to use as household items, so brothers and sisters don't stab each other,

To prevent a "crime of passion" it is worthless. As rattler said, get angry enough and you can get up the force to stab someone with just about anything. Or just move on to the next item of destruction, like a fireplace poker... Or a chair... Or a fork ("Rupert, leave the cork on your fork. There's a good boy.")

or so if you catch a criminal breaking into your house, he probably didn't bring his metalshop tools with him on the job to turn one of your knives onto you as a "stabbing weapon." :p

Very true, he probably brought his own knife/weapon. No need to raid your cabinet for one when he has his own.

This is just asinine. I agree with rattler that this is just one guy attempting to fill a niche but that one guy showed about as much forethought as a snake that crawls onto a freeway to sun itself...

lol! That inventor dude has never been poked by a flat "rounded" piece of metal? Geez work on a machine once in a while! :D

lol....yah know its rarely the sharp stuff that concerns me.....clean cuts heal pretty nicely....its the blunt stuff backed by alot of force that scares me.....kinda hard to put pulverized bone back together........

Yeah! I learned in Boy Scouts that dull knives are more dangerous than sharp knives! Maybe that only applies to whittling, though...

xvart.

actually its very true......ive got nerve damage in my left hand due to cold weather and a dull knife......much easier to control a sharp knife than trying to force a dull one to do what you want......

Back