What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dangerous World of Butterflies

I saw the author of this book on The Daily Show tonight:

THE DANGEROUS WORLD OF BUTTERFLIES

51GtXRROn5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click-to-search,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Wor...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245305108&sr=8-1

It seems that to John Stewart and the author it's somehow sinister to be a butterfly collector, at least that's the impression I got. I did my time collecting and mounting butterflies and insects a few years back (mantids mainly). Is it really that "weird" to make Riker mounts? I sold a lot of mine to people at work and my dad still has my stick insect and mantids on his wall.
I believe I've Riker mounted every butterfly on the cover of this book and hundreds more besides... Does that make me the new Dr. Evil? :D

Insted of pinning them, i raise them :) i currently just have Painted lady caterpillars

They were talking about the smuggling of endangered species. There are poachers collecting and selling these on the black market for very large amounts of money.

oh

Yes, "technically" the book discusses those collectors breaking Cites but the interview while of course being over the top and silly, still insinuates there was something "wrong" with collecting them in general. I plan to check out the book.

Back