What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seriously PETA?!

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly
I had a look at that hand held bug catcher thing they're pushing! LOL

I could see myself attempting to remove a wasp from my immediate work area with that thing and getting stung anyway. No, if it's bothering me, it dies so that I don't. I'll take the stance that, "I need my life to fight for theirs", like Mary Beth Sweetland says. Except I'm not fighting for theirs. Close enough, right? LOL

PETA is made up of nut cases. I wish their nut case supporters would open their eyes.

PETA is so ridiculous that it's impossible to spoof it without most people thinking it's real.

BigBella is absolutely right and PETA hurts its cause the same way bible thumpers turn a lot of people away from Christianity. PETA doesn't have as much money, relatively speaking, as some of you think, which is why it relies on media circuses and celebrity photo ops. It looks for free publicity because paid publicity is expensive. Unfortunately, its stupid stunts and campaigns result in people who don't know any better equating animal rights with PETA, which is wrong, wrong, wrong.

According to the Wikipedia article (which references sources I haven't checked), PETA has 2 million members and its revenues in 2007 were $31 million. I'd rather that money and all those supporters were doing something productive (imagine NASC with money to do something with Sarracenia habitat), but contrast PETA's finances with the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, which has an annual budget of $55+ million.

For real muscle, look at the NRA, which Wikipedia lists as having almost 4 million members and an income of $205 million in 2004. That's how the NRA is able to spend so much in political campaigns ($10 million against Obama in 2008) while PETA scrounges for free media attention.

Criticize PETA all you want and you won't hear a word of disagreement from me. But don't think it is representative of people who are concerned about animal welfare or are vegetarian, liberal or whatever. It isn't.

I think the majority of their supporters have good intentions, they just let PETA pull the wool over their eyes. It's the few militant-minded extremists in any cause that make things go awry.

Still nobody has said what Animal Rights groups are "worthy of support"...

Personally I don't think anything ever gets noticed/fixed/done without militant revolutionary action and plenty of it. I eat meat so go ahead and scream hypocrite right now and get it out of your system however I agree mostly with the ALF (Animal Liberation Front). Breaking into vivisection laboratories of cosmetics companies and circuses and stealing the animals. Rehabilitating them back into whatever life is possible left for them to have. These are two abuses of animals I see as completely pointless and are two institutions worthy of ending. I think the ALF is much more active in Europe than the US. But that's the kinda thing I respect a lot more than naked women on a billboard.

Personally I don't think anything ever gets noticed/fixed/done without militant revolutionary action and plenty of it. I eat meat so go ahead and scream hypocrite right now and get it out of your system however I agree mostly with the ALF (Animal Liberation Front). Breaking into vivisection laboratories of cosmetics companies and circuses and stealing the animals. Rehabilitating them back into whatever life is possible left for them to have. These are two abuses of animals I see as completely pointless and are two institutions worthy of ending. I think the ALF is much more active in Europe than the US. But that's the kinda thing I respect a lot more than naked women on a billboard.

The ASPCA comes to mind.

I am a biologist who cut his teeth working at labs which occasionally utilized rodents, fish, and a number of invertebrates (for medical and environmental testing). Welcome to primary research.

Members of the ALF or one of its splinter groups (it was never too clear to the cops) thought it suitable to set fire to the facility. One of the workers -- an intern -- received fairly serious burns to his hands and face.

I see.

We must burn the village in order to save it . . .

As soon as I see an animal rights group that goes after the meat-industrial complex, while leaving the hunters & dog owners alone, I'll know one that's worthy of support.

Yes, I understand vivisection in regards to medical research, my old man's running around on a pig valve - I probly ate the steaks! Veterinary medicine also advances through this sort of research which is good. Though some of these medical labs need tighter restrictions on how they acquire animals... For a while there was people's pets going missing one summer (taken off their leashes in the yard) and winding up being sold to the U of M labs for $25 each.

However cosmetics research is another story. As far as I'm concerned unnecessary since not all companies do it and make the same products. I can't stand animal trick shows, circuses, bull fights, rodeos, etc.. I love those When Animals Attack shows! :D

I love those When Animals Attack shows! :D

Who doesn't? I was five blocks away when those drunken, stoned sub-idiots taunted Tatiana, the Siberian Tiger at the SF Zoo. The greatest loss was in the death of that 300 pound cat, put down by police. Those idiots should all have been eaten but two managed to get away. To think that that cat was tracking them across the zoo.

Now, there's some suspense . . .

When I was a kid two teenagers went into the St. Paul city zoo late at night and threw rocks at the polar bears who live in a open air enclosure. Injuring both bears then one of the kids fell in over the bars and was killed by the less injured bear. The other kid ran home and told what happened. This was the worst zoo ever when I was a kid - it's a free zoo so just imagine an animal "ghetto" or rather a penal colony as each dwelt in an iron and cement cell like on the old westerns.

I don't see why they didn't use a tranquilizer dart on that big cat. As far as I remember they didn't kill the polar bears.

I think the majority of their supporters have good intentions, they just let PETA pull the wool over their eyes. It's the few militant-minded extremists in any cause that make things go awry.

The President of PETA would be one of those militant types, who has said, on public record (you can find the recording online if you look for it) that blowing up facilities and people is an acceptable means to get the PETA message across. When the person who runs the organization is pushing that message do you think there is any way you can reason with any of them?

The ASPCA comes to mind.

Yes. And your local animal shelters and SPCAs. Do not give to major national organizations because by and large their agendas are not what you think they are.

Personally I don't think anything ever gets noticed/fixed/done without militant revolutionary action and plenty of it. I eat meat so go ahead and scream hypocrite right now and get it out of your system however I agree mostly with the ALF (Animal Liberation Front).

Swords, in some cases I agree with you but in this case I do not. When the life of a person is worth less than the life of a rat (or 1000 rats) then there is a serious problem. ALF, both here and in Europe, have taken human lives in their crusades. I will never condone those actions. I do not care what animals they are saving.

I am a biologist who cut his teeth working at labs which occasionally utilized rodents, fish, and a number of invertebrates (for medical and environmental testing). Welcome to primary research.

I am right there with you Big. I hardly ever discuss my animal work days (and I am not going to go into detail here) but I have had them. And I know for fact that one series of them resulted in changes that saved lives. I do not care if you hate me but those rats were bred specifically for use in research. They are a tool to be used and I used them for that purpose. I do not think that makes me wrong. If you disagree, so be it. But if you threaten or attempt to take my life to "save the rats" (which you are just going to turn around and kill anyways) because you disagree then there is a huge problem with your perception of the world...

Members of the ALF or one of its splinter groups (it was never too clear to the cops) thought it suitable to set fire to the facility. One of the workers -- an intern -- received fairly serious burns to his hands and face.

Members of ALF also firebombed the house of a researcher. While she was home. Their intent was to kill her.

I see.

We must burn the village in order to save it . . .

Not just the village but the villagers as well it seems.

Personally I am just biding my time. They have gone to the point where swatting flies is a heinous crime, it will not be long before it is wrong to take vaccines or antibiotics for fear of harming the viruses and bacteria. And once they stop making use of modern medicine then we can watch them try to "reason" with the infections diseases they get. The day someone can talk flesh-eating strep out of being a pathogen is the day hang up my hat for good.

I despise the whole angry mob mentality. As herenorthere said, bible thumpers can in a sense be compared with PETA or similar radical organizations because they have been known to do things that contradict what they claim. PETA goes to great lengths and essentially minimizes human life and politicizes everything. In the same way some Christians (unfortunately) try to sabotage abortion clinics and in some cases even burn them down.

Bottom line is this... a person can take ANYTHING and politicize it. What PETA and these so called Christians do is rotten.

You are correct Baylor, ANYTHING can be politicized. And what PETA and "radical" Christians do is indeed rotten. What really distresses me is that they get so much public support despite being so rotten. WHY do people support and condone such despicable behavior??

You've got me. I think it may be just that people never fully research something. They simply hear an idea and think it sounds great, and then they dive in. Too many followers and not enough GOOD leaders maybe?

You are correct Baylor, ANYTHING can be politicized. And what PETA and "radical" Christians do is indeed rotten. What really distresses me is that they get so much public support despite being so rotten. WHY do people support and condone such despicable behavior??

Who wants to think about their actions? They you actually have to take responsibility for them afterwards! Better just to be seen endorsing the popular stuff.
~Joe

When I was a kid two teenagers went into the St. Paul city zoo late at night and threw rocks at the polar bears who live in a open air enclosure. Injuring both bears then one of the kids fell in over the bars and was killed by the less injured bear. The other kid ran home and told what happened. This was the worst zoo ever when I was a kid - it's a free zoo so just imagine an animal "ghetto" or rather a penal colony as each dwelt in an iron and cement cell like on the old westerns.

I don't see why they didn't use a tranquilizer dart on that big cat. As far as I remember they didn't kill the polar bears.

That's pretty upsetting. They should have never been doing that. Hopefully the other got in big trouble.

I eat meat so go ahead and scream hypocrite right now and get it out of your system however I agree mostly with the ALF (Animal Liberation Front). Breaking into vivisection laboratories of cosmetics companies and circuses and stealing the animals. Rehabilitating them back into whatever life is possible left for them to have.

wow. You agree with people breaking into laboratories and stealing animals, but don't agree with PETA's (supposedly) less violent tactics? Did I read that correctly? Usually it's the other way around...

ALF can suck it. Terrorism is terrorism however you want to look at it.

When the life of a person is worth less than the life of a rat (or 1000 rats) then there is a serious problem. ALF, both here and in Europe, have taken human lives in their crusades. I will never condone those actions. I do not care what animals they are saving.

Agreed 100%.

Look at you suddenly defending Peta when you find out there is a bigger "evil" out there! LOL! :D

Pyro, when you said, "They have gone to the point where swatting flies is a heinous crime, it will not be long before it is wrong to take vaccines or antibiotics for fear of harming the viruses and bacteria", you did know that swatting a fly is not a crime anywhere, right? And, even if there were widespread agreement for such a thing, having PETA support it would be the kiss of death. PETA does so much to undermine its causes that I'm convinced the meat industry is its major financial supporter.

Back