What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thrips...great

So some of my sarracenia have thrips, mainly my flavas.....which explains the deformed growth this season, ive sprayed with orthene today....any other ways to get rid of them?

Only the nuclear Orthene route has worked for me. I tried various neem preparations but I was treating everything every two weeks.

No thanks . . .

oh yeah the nuke route again.....hahaha i just went through this a few months ago with those blasted mites....
this time it wasnt a vendor that got me, it was mother nature...and just before i leave for florida...
ugh.
gonna fight these little bastards like none other....

YEAH! You show them!

Man, that really sucks. :/ At the worst possible time.

Neem once a week for four (I think) weeks eliminated the one and only thrips infestation I ever saw. Waiting two weeks between doses is too long and allows some of the little things to get through their life stages.

Spraying something like Orthene kills all the little predators that take care of most pest infestations outdoors, leading to more and more outbreaks by more and more things. It doesn't happen often, but when I see something is attacking a CP during the outdoor season, I move the CP into the densest growth of flowers or weeds I can find and leave it there a few days. Whatever was bothering it will be gone. The CPs lead a pretty isolated existence, sitting in trays of water, so sometimes I have to take the pests to the predators.

Savage garden suggests that mealy bug destroyers and lady bugs get eaten by the pitcher plants rather than eating any pest bugs.

That said, I agree with resorting to chemicals only after all other options are exhausted.

Neem once a week for four (I think) weeks eliminated the one and only thrips infestation I ever saw. Waiting two weeks between doses is too long and allows some of the little things to get through their life stages.

Spraying something like Orthene kills all the little predators that take care of most pest infestations outdoors, leading to more and more outbreaks by more and more things. It doesn't happen often, but when I see something is attacking a CP during the outdoor season, I move the CP into the densest growth of flowers or weeds I can find and leave it there a few days. Whatever was bothering it will be gone. The CPs lead a pretty isolated existence, sitting in trays of water, so sometimes I have to take the pests to the predators.

I speak from experience and a dense growth of weeds & flowers seems to solve every pest problems I put in there. One exception is that my plant beds tend to be kind of sluggy and it's important to make sure that whatever goes in there for removal of some other problem doesn't become slug food.

For sparta!

Spray em foo', spray em good.

Man, good luck with that. I've had a horrible case of thrips for the past few months and I'm seriously considering just using a flamethrower on the pitchers.

since my nuclear attack last night on them. im only seeing the dead corpses of the thrips littered across the pitchers stuck in nectar blah blah blah.
Stopped the scale that came from another member by accident (thank god, i hate scale)
and the thrips were just one of those natural occurrences...didnt get aphids like i did last year at this time, instead i got thrips...aye. lol.

now to treat again in a weeks time.

Take no prisoners!!!!!!

Ever negotiate with an insect? The best you can hope for is a sting or something crawling up your leg; and the worst, malaria or trypanosomiasis . . .

lol....or theyll just reproduce and spread like mad again >_<

Spinosad

gotta see if i can find a place that has it...

Thanks NAN. ill look into it.
hopefully the orthene took care of it.
if not ill give it this stuff a shot.
but with my trip to florida in a week and a half, i dont know if ill have the time to give it a shot. the least i can try and do is just hold back the thrips and deal with a few more rounds of retarded pitchers.

It doesn't happen often, but when I see something is attacking a CP during the outdoor season, I move the CP into the densest growth of flowers or weeds I can find and leave it there a few days. Whatever was bothering it will be gone. The CPs lead a pretty isolated existence, sitting in trays of water, so sometimes I have to take the pests to the predators.

That's a creative approach. I like it! I'd be scared that aphids or something else would negate the benefits. But then again, I haven't tried that Having a porch on the second floor seems to be a deterrent to bad critters, but the bees, flies, and fungus gnats make it up here.

Back